1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

plant plugs

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by alanscott32, Mar 20, 2005.

1. alanscott32

alanscott32 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone know what the jelly they use for plant plugs?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,639
    I believe its the same stuff as you can buy to add to hanging basket compost, to help it hold moisture.

3. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes it's great and green not sure if its still on market.I used to add it to heathers, ferns and any houseplants needing more then the normal watering.Forgot what its called but, you just reminded me of them still got loads, they are in sachets and keep almost indefinatly if sealed. I once tried to root and add some rooting powder to it in a small glass, as you could see the roots growing.Very handy lol and it worked. On the whole I still prefer Perlite and Vermiculite to add some body and do similar job, release water excess when needed.I did get some rooting Gel from BQ recently, Organic rooting Gel,150 ml it's a jellied liquid.

4. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    The hanging basket stuff is called swell gel or supergel depending on the brand. You can buy small sachets on market stalls supposedly for flower arranging so it's probably still available in garden centres too. I use a liquid thing now called 'wet and grow' from QVC, that does a similar job without having to get rid of the frogspawn at the end of the growing season.

5. alanscott32

alanscott32 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0