Plant Pot Types?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by clum111, Apr 11, 2015.

?

What is the main type of plant pots do you use in your garden for sisplaying plan ts in?

Poll closed Jul 11, 2015.
  1. Terracotta

16.7%
  2. Ceramic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Plastic

83.3%
  1. clum111

clum111 Gardener

Ratings:
    +170
    Hi,

Last year I moved house and have not done anything to my garden, as I've been renovating the house. At my last property I created a Japanese style garden with a pond, which I plan to do at my new house.

However, I had to use plant pots at my last property and will have to do the same here, because the whole garden has compress concrete which I'll need to leave due to being in a wheelchair.

When I did my last Japanese garden, I decided to use red & black plastic pots, because I have had terracotta & ceramic pot before and they always crack or crumble. However, the plastic pots have discoloured a lot. So, I'm not sure what type of pots to buy next.

What do you use and how do they last?

Cheers;)

2. westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
    Ratings:
    +598
    I usually use terracotta for leafy permanent planting, I like the look of them and they last well. However, they're heavy if you want to move them and you can't disguise the fact that your plants are in a container. I don't often get one cracking, I'm more likely to break one because I've knocked it over. I find the glazed ones are OK and I buy green if I want to hide any plants in gaps in a border or bed or if I want them slightly raised. I also like glazed black especially for white flowers.

The pots I like best are the wide bowl shapes, I use them for bulbs or anything which doesn't need much depth and I've never lost one to cracking. Some I've had for years and years but they have become more difficult to find.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,389
      I am not sure about the glazed ones...a bit like tiling the outdoor spaces...depends, depends.