1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Plant Potatoes?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by jd67, Apr 6, 2013.

1. jd67

jd67 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can I plant potatoes in bags now even though the night time temperatures are still very low. I live near the North coast N.Ireland

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,320
    Hi What temperature are you having at the moment , as I have had frost every morning for the past 3 weeks .

They should be fine to plant now but I would keep the bags next to the house wall will keep them a little warmer , and by the time they start to sprout hopefully the frosts will be done and dusted .

Spruce

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      It takes a few weeks for Potatoes in bags to get above soil level (if you add compost to the bag as they grow and "peak" out). So they could be in utility room / frost free garage during that time, and won't need light until the bag is full of compost and the shoots then appear. Putting them somewhere with some warmth will start them off more quickly, if you are looking for an early crop? Otherwise frost free shed will do.