1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Plant/ shrub recommendations please.

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by raymond-s, Mar 21, 2022.

1. raymond-s

raymond-s Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The cherry tree in the corner of the garden, despite me cutting the back hard every year was getting so big it had to come out. The roots were coming through the grass and there was also potential for damage to my neighbours property.
    So on Sunday I dug the whole thing out, bit of a mission but got it done.
    I now have a need for something to fill the space. The photo was taken at 9am today and too late for any sun already so something that will thrive in almost full shade.

I would like something that will grow to about 6 feet at the rear and something that will grow to about 3 feet in front of that. Must have is that it is evergreen and the smaller shrub at the front should have flowers ideally and they need to be quite hardy. No idea about the soil type but it doesn't get water logged. Any ideas please.

Pic is a few years old and it is (was) much bigger now.

P1020635.JPG

SAM_3469.JPG

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,716
    Ideal spot for a Tracycarpus.:smile:
    Or a cordyline.

3. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,658
    Background, aucuba, fatsia, fargesia, pyracantha, viburnum, sarcococca, olearia, osmanthus, abelia, buddleia globosa, photinia
    Foreground, danae, daphne, euonymus, hebe, skimmia, pittosporum, lavendula, rosemarinus, cistus, helianthemum, euphorbia, chamearops, buxus, prunus otto luyken
    That's just a quick representation of some evergreens I grow. Some will need a general once over, some annual maintenance. Others need fifteen rounds with Lennox Lewis!
    The choice is vast

• Like Like x 1
    • flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
      Ratings:
      +1,658
      Who's this Tracy Carpus of whom you speak? Are we back on the fish puns?:huh:

• Funny Funny x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,716
        Well you might be, but I aint.;)
        I quite liked the cherry tree.:biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1
        • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
          Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
          Ratings:
          +6,780
          From what I have read on the RHS site (had to look it up) the Tracycarpus needs sun or dappled shade, protection from frost and can grow higher than 12 metres. Bonny looking evergreen though.

• Informative Informative x 1
          • raymond-s

raymond-s Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +1
            Thanks for the suggestions and now that I have names I can do some research then go visit the garden centre. I Have a Dobies and a Klondyke Strikes nearby.

It is a Pyracantha to the right of the cherry tree i think. (white flowers followed by red berries)

We did like the cherry tree but whatever type it was it was only in blossom for 8 days max. Other ones round here were in blossom for weeks. Anyway it was just getting too big. Give it a prune and it sprouted 5 feet.

• Informative Informative x 1