Planting a wisteria onto a trelis

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HYDROGEN86, Jul 21, 2012.

1. HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +883
    Hi guys,

i bought a white wisteria for my mum when the BnQ sales were on. It is about 8 foot tall now with quite a bit of bushy top growth. Im just wondering when would the best time to move it to my Mums be and also should i cut it all the way down to the bottom so that when it starts to grow again it will fix itself to the trelis from the bottom?

Thanks guys

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,318
    Plant it now , keep a eye on watering dont feed you will encourage too much leafy growth just let its roots get away into the soil , and dont cut it down. , in the early years !! you need to train the "whips" new growth into the trellis , Hydo it will need to be heavy duty trellis to take the weight otherwise like my god daughters father didnt listen to me and found the whole lot fallen off the fence and nearly broke the main stem.

Hope this helps a little

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
    • HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +883
      Thanks a lot Spruce i will check the trelis when i see it next, it had quite a large passion flower growing on it last year but it suddenly died for no known reason. I was hoping i would have been able to cut it right down to a foot or 2 to make it easier to transport but i will take it in a van then instead.
      Thanks again mate :biggrin:

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,318
      The winter kill , do I need to say anything else with the passion plant !!

Yes take the van , I am not leeting you loose in my garden with anything sharp :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

Spruce

• Like Like x 2
      • HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +883
        Who have you been talking too?? :WINK1: :snork: