Planting allium bulbils

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Lad, May 25, 2011.

1. Lad

Lad Gardener

Senior Consultant
    Ratings:
    +46
    My ornamental alliums have finished flowering, can I uses the bulbilis to increase my stock. This is a new move house and garden (mature.) and we enjoy seeing what comes up next.

2. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,089
    My ornamental alliums just seem to get on with it requiring no intervention from me. Luckily.

3. Lad

Lad Gardener

Senior Consultant
    Ratings:
    +46
    Well thats nice, but can I propagate from these fruits?

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,013
    I am sure you can Lad. Which Allium are they? And are we talking of bulbils above the ground or below it.

I have only seen bulbils on Allium sphaerocephalon and they are below the ground, and mine multiply like crazy without me doing anything. However my A. christophii and A. hollandicum don't seem to make bulbils. These two don't even self seed - perhaps I always weed them out.

You can grow from seed, sowing the seed outside in pots in autumn and leaving them to the frost and snow. But they can take a long time to get to flowering size - 4 or 5 years. And in the case of A. hollandicum 'Purple Sensation' I understand the seedlings lose their purple colour and revert to a duller blue purple.