1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Planting allium bulbs

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sussexgardener, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Basically, when? I know the usual blah blah blah about August to December, but anyone got any suggestions? I've planted them in September before, but I feel this might be a little early.

2. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,522
    All my bulb planting happens October to November.

3. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Im with Red on this one.:thmb: 02

4. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    ahhh was thinking about you today and the alliums, Aaron. Popped into the poundshop in town and they have stacks of bulbs in (obviously all for a quid) but they had 3 different varieties in so wasnt sure which ones to get .... but I remembered you saying you wanted to get a load more.

Which ones have you got in the garden that flowered this year ?

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Hi Sam

Purple Sensation always look great and they're usually the cheapest to buy. You can get really tall alliums - Globemaster, qith huge heads, but they seem to be very expensive for one bulb. I've found you can get eight sensation for the price of one globemaster.

I might try some of the blue variety this year.

6. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    yes i think i seen the globemaster ones in homebase at the weekend. I think it was one bulb for about £4-£5 yet the different ones in the poundshop had about 8 bulbs in each bag, or even the different ones at homebase you got 6 i think for £4.

Will have to have a better look !

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Shopping around is worth it when it comes to alliums. I have a Homebase card with £30.00 on it so I might splash out a bit and get some more...even though I have what was sold as a "mixed bag" to find somewhere to plant...

There is also the Christophii and Schubertii varieties when are magnificent but don't grow as tall as the others and need more room to really appreciate them. They might be on my list as well!

8. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    so pretty much all alliums then hey aaron ? lol

Have you tried any of the ones from the poundshop before, or is it best to stick to more expensive ones you think ? Reason I ask is I brought a stack of bulbs in the spring from the poundshop - gladiolli, lupins, iris etc and ever single bulb came up great and I have had a mass of flowers for the £5 quid i spent !!

9. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Any I've bought cheap seem to do fine, although the price difference isn't that much really...at least in Wilkies anyway.

10. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    Some of you may be interested in this Thompson and Morgan offer available via a Gradeners world newsletter I received last week.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/plants1/product/pwr88953/1.html/?oc=GWRW;RA=gwmx

FREE* Alliums

Description

These hugely popular flowers were a must-have at Chelsea this year and come in all shapes and sizes, from pretty Allium caeruleum (10 bulbs) and bushy, pompom sphaerocephalon (50 bulbs), to starburst aflatunensis (5 bulbs) and the unusual oreophilum (35 bulbs).
    Just send £3.99 to cover the p&p and get your 100 bulbs FREE to plant immediately.
    Order will be acknowledged with a despatch date.
    Only 1 Free Pack per customer please.

Steve..:)

11. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Nice one. I'm ordering them tonight!

12. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Good find ! Think I will order some myself, although just brought 100 'allium drumstick' bulbs this afternoon :) ... will reminds me, will do a post about all the bulbs am buying as not really sure how to plant them, when and if i can double layer etc ......

13. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    ok ... have ordered them before they run out lol :)

14. strawman

strawman Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    The Aldi stores are selling bulbs right now. I think that you can get 30 Alliums for something like £1.49. I had some luck with the ones I bought from them last year, so they're good value for money...

15. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Just ordered mine. There are a few interesting varieties there, apart from the usual Purple Sensation (although I've also bought some more of them too, elsewhere!)