1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Planting bamboo need help

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mane, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Mane

Mane Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    E8F6E071-43B7-4B7F-9DC1-779729C59657.jpeg 54FC28D4-5A63-498B-BFCD-F5690F695FDB.jpeg

Im planning to plant bamboo next to planned patio area. We are laying patio next year.

I am not sure do I need to install bamboo root barier?

On one side of the bedding area I digged trench and put mot type1 and then concreted and put one layer of engineered brick.

Other side is neighbours fence and next to fence is his soild patio.

You can see from picture I donot have much width so not sure do I need to install bamboo root barier.

Area is 9 meter in length? I got 6 bamboo plants. Should these be enough.

Any speacial thing do I need to plant them?

2. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    Hi Mane
    Looking very nice, I had black bamboo (nigra) which is clump forming which worked well, probably different varieties now, I'm sure someone will have great ideas for you.

• Like Like x 1
    • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
      +3,718
      If I remember rightly I dug out the soil about 12" deep and added loads of well rotted manure then put the soil back in and planted, spacing I can't remember but I think 6 is a good start, clump forming varieties can be split when established.

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,249
      My first thought is that that is not much width for the bamboos and it could get very dry with hard surfaces on both sides. "Clump forming" bamboos spread more slowly and don't come up a couple of feet away. My Phyllostachys nigra now occupies a space about 4ft*5ft after 15 years. it gets trimmed by the lawn mower when it strays into the grass and a sharp spade is regularly used to temper its enthusiasm, several people now have chunks. I would put a root barrier front and back otherwise they will come up between the fence and the edge of the neighbours patio.

• Mane

Mane Gardener

Ratings:
      +7
      thanks for all help.

Not sure where to buy bamboo root barrier. I will check local garden shop.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,629
      After what I've heard about bamboo I dont think I would plant it in that kind of area, sorry.
      It will be ok for a few years, but likely to start pushing up the patio at some stage.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Mane

Mane Gardener

Ratings:
        +7
        oh i see...

i may change the plan...

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,629
        What type are those bamboos you have bought?

A latin name would be useful to work out just how spreading they are likely to be.

I dont want to put you off, but that was my gut feeling.:smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Mane

Mane Gardener

Ratings:
          +7
          It was cuttings from my friend.

I am thinking to put them in long plastic pots. Not sure if anything like this available?

So my idea is dig space for plastic pots in same area and then put bamboos inside them.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Genuine clump forming bamboos, at least down here and in my experience, are limited to mainly fargesia types.
          Phylostachys nigra and aurea have proven to be very invasive, hardly clump formers. Here their invasive tendencies were obvious within 2 years ......roots appeared several feet from their planting spots.
          Bamboos can run and run...maybe behaving well for a while....and damage can be extensive even catastrophic
          Before planting bamboo do your research :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
        • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
          Ratings:
          +6,097
          Very interesting. This is where forums such as this come into their own. Each contributor relates their experience and hopefully no offence will be taken if someone perhaps disagrees with anothers comment.

I must admit, I haven't any bamboo in my garden, had I the space then I would plant some. I have in the past planted beds of bamboo to naturalize in parks and woodlands. The latter areas, cost was of no importance, but adding compost etc was never resorted to. My last experience was to plant a single bamboo in my daughter's garden. No feed of any kind has been used in the garden probably since the house was built and some fifteen years have passed since plantin this subject. A suitable sized hole was dug, and the large pot was tapped free of the plant. Plant inserted and heeled in, followed by a good watering. The plant has grown well, certainly hasn't produced runners, it's a great plant and has become a ready source of canes.

So IMO I feel that at times we may perhaps go a bit overboard with some plantings and tend to molly-coddle them too much. As I learned in my plant pathology and plants sciences studies. A plant that alread has a good strong healthy root system doesn't need a lot of soil, nutrient additives. As I say/imply. We live and learn and as friendly gardeners we share our knowledge, even our failures.

• wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +89,787
          I have a section of my garden planted with Bamboo,3 different types and black bamboo but I have to agree with our friend @pete ,my advice for what it is worth,I would look for something else to plant in that particular position and location :smile:

• Like Like x 2
          • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
            +17,487
            We can only relate our own experiences.......they may or may not reflect others' but a word of caution about the possibilities to make folks think before planting bamboo.:)

There was a prog on the box about bamboos featuring the grower himself. The warnings were clear.....he had bamboo roots crossing a road and emerging on the other side. Removing a well established bamboo can be expensive, difficult and "bolting the stable door after the horse has gone"

No bamboos here.....grasses instead:)

• Like Like x 1
            • Mane

Mane Gardener

Ratings:
              +7
              Thanks for all help and input. Appreciate you all sharing your experences. I will go and see in local garden and buy some plastic pots...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Mane

Mane Gardener

Ratings:
                +7
                542C5FBB-83C9-40ED-9B7F-C14038AC6439.jpeg

Could I dig soil and burry this plastic container in soil and put bamboos. Will it work?

Looks sill idea but never know it may work.

Thanks