1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Planting bulbs - guidelines?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Rosiemongrel, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Rosiemongrel

Rosiemongrel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

I have been given some bulbs - tulips and those big purple alliums. Sadly, they have not come with planting guidelines.

What are the guidelines for how deep you have to plant bulbs? I only planted tulip bulbs once before - and they didn't come up. So I reckon I put them in too deep. Is there a rule of tumb?

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Rosie, plant them no deeper that 3 times their size.

3. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    We had a chap form the daffodil society give as atalk last nigth at our fuchsia society ,found i tvery interestign.

And fill containers half full first then compost beofre you plunge bulbs deep.

Then put your containerdeep in the garden top dress with leaf mold and forget until Spring then take out and put in greenhouse or a sheltered place until its warmer.

And all the ladies got Thali bulbs.

4. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,523
    Good rule of thumb, David. Those big guys you have Rosie, I'd do 6 inches at least.
    I have over 20,000 bulbs on my property. Tiny, mid-size and big. Placed in areas according to when they will bloom, relating to the shade trees.

5. Rosiemongrel

Rosiemongrel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! Will give that a go. When is the latest I can put them in? The next couple of weeks look really busy. Can it wait until the end of October?

6. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Rosie, I`ve a load of bulbs to pot up for a client, They wont be done for at least 10 days. The only problem you will have, is that they will flower later. Red you HAVE to post pics when that lot are flowering.:cool::thmb:

7. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Ratings:
    +10,523
    Sure David, They start from March and end about June. From early crocus, late crocus, snowdrops, wild tulips, spring anemones, stargazers, tooth--somethings, little iris, some red-short somethings, some blue short somethings, daffodils (very early, early, mid, mid-late, late) finally come some tall common tulips in the sun area, then some alliums, And in-between all of this there are things I can' remember names.
    Then the virginia blue bells go crazy. And the gardens all come alive. Then the may-apples, and jacks come up. Then the columbines. In June English Canterbelle (spell?) go crazy too. They are pretty among the yellow daffs.
    And this fall, looking at a book for another 500 I think I will order to place somewhere. (just because)
    I love the spring time the best, especially when I did a good job bedding everyone in the fall/winter. (pruning/mulching). Frankly, I start forgetting some of the names, BUT, I do remember where they are planted, so come fall I don't disturb someone. (hate that)
    I am now at that point, I have to thin out huge clusters that have grown and grown, not really into that, lots of work.

8. Brian Simpson

Brian Simpson Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with David - I'd love to see some pictures of that lot - maybe a photo every week or so as the view changes? :wink:

I've only got a few daffs and crocuses in my garden - am concentrating on veg first - but any imspiration would help.

9. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Ratings:
    +10,523
    Well, just stay tune, any of my garden shots will be put in Redstar Garden on this site. Some pictures are there now, but not spring shots.

10. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    And me too, spring bulbs are the most dramatic change in any garden, and it would be a magnificent sight to see so many. I am nowhere near that level and I thought I was being spectacular with 500 mixed varieties. Unfortunately, being a rather impulsive gardener, there isn`t any real rhyme or reason to when they flower, just followed Geoff`s advice and planted a load of penstemons around them.

11. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Ratings:
    +10,523
    While we are on this topic. My favorite bulb ordering site is Van Engelen Inc. I can get a large amount for a good price.
    This year I am looking at some real obscure ones just to enhance some color or pop some areas. And I am keeping it to about 500.
    You know I don't really see where its a huge amount when they finally come up. I guess because its spread over a large area, and that, they are not all at once, but in a continual cycle of color.

12. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Ratings:
    +10,523
    Ok---just ordered.
    ALLIUM AZURE
    ALLIUM MOLY JEANNINE
    ALLIUM SPHAEROCEPHALON
    ERANTHIS HYEMALIS
    GERANIUM TUBEROSUM
    IXIOLIRION PALLASII
    When they arrive, want to help plant?

13. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Course I will, just need to polish up my Inspector Gadget arms and I will be right with you.

14. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Red, post the pica, and who knows, we may even be able to identify a few for you. And teach you how to spell colour.:dh::lollol:No offence intended.:D

15. jimjam

jimjam Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have planted annually for the past 4 years and never heard this tip. Thanks very much :thumb: