1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Planting for birds

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by nikirushka, May 13, 2020.

1. nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
    +93
    I've made a start on clearing out a corner that's all brambles. I'm about half clear and I've spotted a blackbird nest in the hit I was about to do, so I've put some back and left it alone.

I've still got to get that corner clear though once they're fledged, so for next year I'd like to make provision elsewhere for them.

I've got 50ft stretch running alongside my garages that I don't do much with, and the fence there needs some extra support as it gets hit directly with the spring and autumn winds and it did start leaning last time after that run of strong storms. Reinforcing that is first on the list but after that, what could I plant in there that would do the job?

The stretch is 6ft wide at one end, narrowing to 4ft at the other. It gets full sun about half the day. Whatever I put in doesn't want to get huge or take over, because pruning will be very difficult as it gets mature.

So I'm thinking 8-10ft max height, and not vigorous enough that it's going to compromise the fence. And needs to be relatively dense to support potential nests. Maybe some forsythia or ceonathus might work?