1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Planting for the polytunnel

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by Ariadae, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Ariadae

Ariadae Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +679
    This is my first January with my tunnel!
    Any suggestions for seeds I can start off now?

Happy new year to all

Ariadae

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
  3. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
  4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Chopper will tell you best, but he's given me lettuce from his unheated polytunnel a few weeks back & thats doing fine in a cold frame at the moment.

He's got alsorts growing in there right now.

Oh, Chopper, bought you a late Christmas present today, but i'm naughtily going to read it myself first :D

I tried the link too & got A303 message, but thats probably because I live in Somerset.

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    None of the links from the old vBulletin software work since the migration to MyBB. Nor any of their attachments. Dunno if TPTH are still trying to sort it out, or not.

6. Scrungee

Ratings:
    +28,997
    I though that might be the case and tried comparing that link to a new one to see if if was a simple matter of partial substitution, plus of course searching for "sowing schedule", but neither worked.

But searching for portions of the link (that didn't work) I found this:

7. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :DOH: No sadly the old links do not work since the change over.. It is sadly down to the poster to re-do links as I have found as there was no transfer facility for working links to stay working... Sorry people but that is the way it is sadly.. :what:

8. Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi Ariadae

This is also my first January gardening in a polytunnel. A lot of the plants I have growing in my tunnel were started off in late October or early November.

Something to bear in mind. When ever you get your tunnel ready to start gardening, you have to break into the seasons at some point. There is no real start and finish to the seasons. One blends into the next. It is up to you to fit into whatever time of year and the growing conditions.

My tunnel was finished in September 2010. No way was I going to let it stand empty and idle for 6 months waiting for the spring. I want to be able to grow lots of flowers as well as veg. I bought a lot of plug plants from a wholesale nursery and got them potted on immediately. Most have survived the winter so far.

I bought some seeds and started off a few lettuce, broad beans, onions, garlic, cabbage and cauliflower. The Broad beans took a battering with the frost. Cabbage and cauliflower have grown steadily. Onions and garlic are doing very well. I had enough lettuce to be able to give some to Ziggy. Ziggy and I have started swapping excess plants. He has some Aspargus plants for me. Works well for both of us and we get to have a chat about gardening and put the world to rights. Gardening brought us to meet.

There is a huge learning curve to climb for me and other folk just getting started with a new tunnel. My advice for what its worth is to listen to folk like Kristen and Ziggy. Don't be afraid to experiment or ask other much more experienced gardeners for advice and guidance. I am sure Ziggy and Kristen will agree with me that they were once novices too and none of us are inacapable of learning more.

I am really excited about what is happening in my tunnel and am really looking forward to the new season. Have fun and good luck with your new tunnel.

Regards

Chopper.

9. Scrungee

Ratings:
    +28,997
    I want to be able to grow salad crops both on staging and in perimeter beds and was thinking of using some of my collection of those 400 x 300mm blue plastic mushroom boxes lined with weed control barrier (so they'll drain) and filled with potting compost. That will give a soil depth of 90mm (only 50mm in a seed tray) and enable me to shift them around from greenhouse (heated from March - April), polytunnel floor/staging, coldframes, outside. So what will grow in that depth of soil?

I'd also interested in which plants to avoid due to problems to pollination, being unsuited to indoor growing climate, etc. (french beans?), as I don't grow anything in my greenhouse during the summer because it gets shaded out by a large ash tree. Nothing huge, as it's only going to be a cheap 4.5 x 2m ebay tunnel (that's taking more time to devise some internal bracing than it'll probably take to erect).

10. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Chopper,

The asparagus I potted up for you survived the snow & is putting up small new shoots, they need splitting up into bigger pots though so i'll drop them down soon.

Oh, yes it takes a while for it all to sink in and you still learn more each season. Forget stuff & still make mistakes too.

[hr]

Hi Scrungee,

The mushroom trays sound good for small saladings, lettuce, radishes,rocket,chives etc. For deeper rooted stuff you could use 6" pots for baby carrots, sorrel, baby beets.

11. Scrungee

Ratings:
    +28,997
    In that case I'd probably use some of my deeper, green, plastic vegetable crates (as used by market traders) to up the depth, as they shouldn't dry out as quickly and be easier to handle than multiple pots.

12. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0

Thats a better idea than I had, I was thinking about putting the pots in the mushroom trays. Thats how I transport plants to car boot sales, but most of my plants for sale are in 3" pots.

If you sow your salad generously, then you can regularly make a "Baby leaf salad mix" that would cost you £1.20 ish in the supermarket, from the thinnings.

Probably teaching granny to suck eggs(damn, should have posted that in the old sayings thread:DOH:)

But remember to keep the carrots up high on the staging during and after thinning.