1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

planting garlic too late

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by mike57, Jan 20, 2006.

1. mike57

mike57 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I understand that garlic 'needs' to see a winter frost in order for the bulbs to swell the following summer.
    Last year I planted elephant garlic in March and got large leeks (as expected?)

Again I forgot to order in the autumn and wonder if a week in the fridge would help? I can set the temperature anywhere between +1 and +11 C if that makes a difference.

if I do that should they be started off in a pot for a week or so first?

thanks Mike

2. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    certainly worth a try in view of last years failure........ but mine produced shoots be4 the frost so it growth may be triggered by daylight not frost

3. Gardening Newbie

Gardening Newbie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought some Elephant garlic & it says on mine to plant out before the end of January, as my beds aren't ready yet I'm going to put them in pots outside then transfer to the beds when they have shoots, I would of thought depending where you are in the country but if planted by the end of this month you should get some frost on it easily, March however possibly not

[ 20. January 2006, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Gardening Newbie ]

4. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    Mine is sprouting in the cupboard Next lot in the fridge. I might put one or two in a pot to see what happens

5. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My garlic have sprouted too, what kind of area do they need to grow? How close together can I plant the cloves? It's just ordinary garlic from the supermarket that I evidently didn't eat quick enough. [​IMG]

6. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  7. McGardener

McGardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    good question hannah.

I've got some wild garlic in the house thats beginning to shoot. And i've absolutely no idea what to do next i.e. where & when to plant the shoots.

Guess they need an area in the garden thats gets good sun.

8. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I would pop them into pots of 50/50 compost and perlite and put them in a light position, keeping them watered. Them when this current cold snap is over and a milder spell forecast, get them into the ground

Good luck