1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Planting Garlic

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Adam Moran, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Adam Moran

Adam Moran Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't believe it's nearly that time already!

1st year on the allotment and it's gone quite well, so now i'm going to start to prepare an area for my garlic.

Does anyone have any hints or tips? What could i put in the soil to help them to do there best?

Many thanks,

Adam

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi Adam. Glad to hear that the 'lotty' went "quite well" :) I can't say I know much about soil preparation for garlic, but my guess is they like it nice and rich, therefore I would suggest getting some compost in (if you have it) or well rotted manure. Might be a bit late though now as you will need to be planting it next month. Maybe you have an area that you 'mucked' earlier for a previous crop ? I presume you already have some garlic for planting out ? One tip I heard was to only plant out the outer (bigger) cloves as this is supposed to produce larger bulbs. I grew some myself for the first time this year (planted out last October) and I must say they are delish !! Hopefully someone will add more and direct you further.
    Cheers...freddy.

3. seedstotal

seedstotal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i never do much preparation for garlic, seems to do well in my stony ot really prepared soil

4. David G

David G Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Adam

Planted mine last week this is earlier than last year, but to answer your question I am with seedstotal seems ok in all soil types so long as you get it in before the winter sets in.

Dave

5. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi folks. Thinking about it, you are probably right. I based my reply on the fact that my father used to always 'muck' his onion patch every year. But, of course, this was so that he could grow VERY large onions.
    Cheers...freddy.

6. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm going to grow some garlic too in my veg patch, have put some compost and a few chicken manure pellets in, but this was previously unused land.

Hopefully get some good yields from them, but im a first timer so who knows lol

7. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Make a note robert
    -plant garlic-
    Above has prompted me to try a few garlic this year.
    I have an idle patch in my little plot.
    Thanks guys

8. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I always plant mine on Halloween, not only does it seem appropriate but it means I wont forget to do it.

Garlic, and all the onlion family, like a bit of wood ash sprinkled on the soil around them every so often, once a month I do it (when I remember). Must be the potash in it.

Someone once advocated peeling the papery outer skin off before planting, taking care not to damage the basal plate, as this produced larger bulbs. So last year I did half and half, but could not see any difference in eventual size.

9. mztrouble

mztrouble Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    mental note: must remember to plant garlic!

10. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    I've planted some in France of all places yesterday..reckon those folk need a lesson or two:D We had some fresh left over and I thought my Bro would appriciate some when he returns late next year..but I must remember to tell him or he'll probably think they are weeds and zap 'em.:hehe: