1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

planting next to a fence

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lynne, May 27, 2005.

1. lynne

lynne Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello chaps

i have a smallish garden which is essentially a lawn, with a weeping pear 2/3rds of the distance away from the house.

I'm considering creating borders up against the fence but i worry about what happens when the fence needs painting/repairing/replacing.
    the fence is 2 years old and was properly treated prior to being erected.

the garden isn't really big enough to have island beds, as i'd like to keep some lawn for my steamer chairs!

any advice please?
    many thanks
    lynne

2. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You arent going to have to worry about the fence for ages. If you are worried about it though, dont plant climbers and if you plant shrubs dont let them grow too big. Remember that if you plant lots of herbaceous plants they will die back in winter giving you a chance to get to the fence.