1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Planting out a passiflora edulis

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by hellsbells, Mar 5, 2010.

1. hellsbells

hellsbells Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a very new gardener having just acquired one for the first time in my life, so any help would great!

I have just had a passiflora edulis plant delivered its about 6-8 inches high at the moment. When should I plant it out? If its too early what should I do to look after it until I can (the roots and earth are in a plastic bag at the moment).

Or can I plant it out and protect it with some fleece/bubble wrap?

Any guidance wld be greatly appriciated.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    hellsbells, I'm afraid passiflora edulis is not a good choice for planting out in the garden.

Its not frost hardy and I doubt it would get through a British winter.

I'd pot it up for now in a smallish pot and move up to a larger pot in a few weeks, with a mind to growing it in a pot for the summer, you can then bring it under cover late autumn for the winter.