1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Planting/positioning advice please

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Fat Controller, May 31, 2021.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,618
    I have been given a gift of a beautiful rose bush called 'Remember Me'

As you will imagine, I am over the moon with this rose and I am wanting to make sure that I plant it in the optimum position. Ideally, I would like to be able to see it from my chair, but that does admittedly limit planting positions essentially to three - one being on a sheltered, north facing border that gets sun early in the day and then is more shaded in the afternoon. The second position is on the end of a border, next to the greenhouse which gets sun essentially throughout the day (it is almost in the middle of the garden). The third would be a container. I do have a huge pot in the front garden that is currently vacant which I could use - I could use that container on the patio, or I could use it in its current position which is very sheltered, east facing, as the main focal point of the front garden.

To some degree, the container/pot appeals as it would then be much easier to take this rose with us if/when we move (no plans currently, but we would like to move to a quieter area at some point) - as you would imagine, this is a gift from a very special friend, so we would want to be taking it with us.

I will confess that I don't know an awful lot about roses, so really would appreciate the advice of the collective here.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
      Ratings:
      +1,136
      Congratulations @Fat Controller , I am really envious.

In my experience, roses are like weed. They grow in a lot of places and as long as they get at least a few hours of sun every day, they will thrive. So choosing a place for them is more a question of taste.

I would go for a nice sunny spot where you can see it every day. The biggest limit is the expected height and width of the rose bush once it matures. More than a few people I know bought some "easy to care" roses in the local supermarket only to find them growing 2 meters per year and completely taking over their spot. Sometimes it's the other way around. They plant a bush in an open space and it stays tiny forever.

Edit: Roses are actually really easy to move (if they aren't grafted) You cut them down about 10cm above ground, dig up the roots and carry the biggest roots without soil with you. They survive a few days or even weeks outside of the ground. Then just set them back into to ground and voila - your rose moved.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        Last edited: May 31, 2021
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,169
        I have 'Remember Me' it's a lovely rose and the best one in my garden , I don't have any others :smile:

Mrs JWK likes to see it and also be able to get close and pick and smell the flowers, so that dictated where I put mine. It's in full sun all day and likes that.

• Like Like x 2
        • Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
          Ratings:
          +1,136
          Before I edit again and again....

Rosen-Kordes-planting instructions

This website is my absolute go-to-thing whenever I want to know something about roses. The company was founded by Wilhelm Kordes, one of the grandfathers of modern day roses and developer of hundreds of types.

They also feature a rose-o-mat that lets you find the perfect one your your garden.

But before I get hammered for advertising I better stop talking :mute:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            Last edited: May 31, 2021
          • hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
            +712
            I would go for the full sun option @Fat Controller, however, what you could also do presuming the Rose is still relatively small, would be to plant it in a container for the time being, in a sunny spot, hopefully you have a good sized pot so you won’t need to water it constantly if the weather is hot and dry....let’s hope it is! If in a year or 2 you decide to move then the Rose is already contained but if you decide to stay put them you could relocate the Rose into a sunny border. Just remember to do well Roses are gross feeders so will need a bit of “ grub”. I looked up the Rose’s details and certain outlets state it is suitable to be grown in a pot

• Like Like x 1
            • Fat Controller

Public Transport
              Ratings:
              +49,618
              I am definitely leaning toward the container now then - that means I can have it on the patio, full sun, where I can see it and smell it. Plus it will make a lovely centrepiece when we are sitting in our gazebo in the sun.

Currently it is in what looks to be a two or three litre pot and I have a couple of square 40-50 litre ones in addition to a huge one that must be 200 litre. I am thinking maybe the smaller container for now and then it can be transplanted in its entirety into the big one or the ground later on?

The colour of the blooms on the packaging is absolutely stunning, so for that as well as many other reasons I want it where I can see it.

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
                +712
                40-50 ltrs should be ample for a good while. You could maybe underplant with some low growing or trailing annuals for summer interest and then plant some spring flowering bulbs to give a bit of a show before the rose gets going again. I am no rose expert but have a feeling soil based compost like John Innes might be preferable. Someone who knows more than me might be able to advise you better

• Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                  Ratings:
                  +10,974
                  Sounds like a special rose FC. I have a few in pots on my patio in full sun and they do well there.

If you've got it-mycorrhizal fungi powder on the roots and a bit of chicken manure in the planting hole does well.

Don't underplant it until its established in the pot-I've made the error of being too eager before.

I've also found spraying with SB invigorator on the foliage really useful for keeping them healthy.

xx

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                    Ratings:
                    +49,618
                    I forgot to update this, sorry. I went for a square planter for now so as not to overwhelm the rose, and then I can move it on when it gets bigger. The rose has rewarded me with a first bloom, and would you look at that colour! Gorgeous!

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-26 at 15.10.35.jpeg
                    It is currently sat atop the table as I am shuffling things around a bit yet (hence the rosemary next to it also wanting a final home)

• Like Like x 1