1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

planting seeds in unheated greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by wurzel, Apr 17, 2010.

1. wurzel

wurzel Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    is it ok to plant now even though the night time temperatures are only 3/4 c

2. VEG.

VEG. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have loads of seeds now growing in an unheated greenhouse, so yes it does work.:thumb:

3. Blueroses

Blueroses Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    So have I :thumb: I just put fleece over them early evening time.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,051
    It depends what you plant, many things that will be OK now in an unheated greenhouse. It's too early for the more tender stuff like peppers, chillis, cucumbers and tomatoes.

5. VEG.

VEG. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have toms, chilli and peppers growing very well in my unheated greenhouse:thumb:

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,051
    I'll take that back then Veg :dh: Maybe you are somewhere sheltered & mild? In my location if I put toms in my greenhouse during April they go a purple colour and grow very slowly.

7. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I have tomatoes about 9" high in the greenhouse. I shall have to go out now and plug in the fan heaters (set to frost free or just above). We had hail today, so it's a very sure sign of frost in the early morning.

If you don't have electricity laid on the you could use a hurricane lamp or two to keep the frost at bay.

8. kev25v6

kev25v6 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    All my seeds are coming through now but my greenhouse is insulated with bubble wrap. Its still warm in there all the way through the night. Ive got a few strawberry plants in there that i was given last year and they are starting to fruit already, i only re-potted them about 2 weeks ago and they have really come on. My beans have shot up over night.

9. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Are you talking about sowing seeds or planting out young plants?
    Seeds will be fine but you'll need to keep them well watered as they'll dry out quickly on sunny days.
    Tomato plants should be fine, I've had them in the greenhouse and polytunnel for a week now and have also had butternut squash and peppers out too. The only thing I've not put out yet are cucumbers, but I'll be putting these out early next week.

10. wurzel

wurzel Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    things are starting to grow at last but very slow,perhaps due to low temps?