1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Planting wildflower seeds

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by Philip Hughes, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Philip Hughes

Philip Hughes Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi everyone,

I have recently had a small bed put in when having my driveway block paved, as you can see from the attached photograph. In spring, I want to sew some wildflower seeds - tansy, knapweed, teasel, borage, etc., to attract bees. Is it simply a case of scattering them randomly? Should I throw lots down and then thin out the seeds when they start to grow? I've only every sewn seeds in pots, so any advice will be helpful!

Also, has anybody every grown cosmos from seed in pots? I want to do this when spring arrives.

Thanks,

Phil.

Attached Files:

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd put the seeds in the fridge for a week or so, make them think they've had a winter before scattering & raking in.

The birds will have some away so yes, probably best to sow and then thin. Should look nice :)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,549
      Yes, scatter them randomly Phil and then thin them out. It's also a case of some for flowers, some for failures and some for the birds! :)

Cosmos tend to grow quite large in height and spread and even in a large pot they would be cramped.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Tony Harris

Tony Harris Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        can i do the same with seeds under a small fir tree, just sprikle them

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,549
        It depends on what type of seed Tony and whether there's enough soil for them to develop. Quite often roots of trees of the conifer family take over the ground, they also deplete the soil of nutrients and water. If you're happy to take the risk of the seed not germinating then it's worth trying.

• Tony Harris

Ratings:
        +1
        thanks sheal i think its wort a try

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Hi Tony, welcome to GC!
          Under a conifer/fir tree is not an ideal place. Most conifers actually kill any growth beneath them. I would look for another location.
          I am sowing some wild meadow seeds later this month. I get about a half bucket full of very dry top soil or sharp sand, and mix the seeds into this. I then put some of this mix on a shovel and brush it off with my hand over the area I am planting, repeat until all the mix is gone. This spreads the wild seeds out and minimises clumping :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
          • Tony Harris

Ratings:
            +1
            Hi
            are you doing that onto prepared ground, or can i be lazy and do the same onto the bottom half of my grass

Tony