1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Planting with my Toddler!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Smiler, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Smiler

Smiler Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

I don't really know very much about gardening but I'm hoping to learn!

I wonder if anyone can help? My daughter has just turned 18 months and has recently begun showing a huge interest in the garden. Every evening she wants to help water the plants. But she also likes to dig :rolleyes: . earlier in the year we planted a Sunflower with her which is now doing great, but I was wondering if there is anything I can plant with her now? Or is it too late in the year? Obviously it would have to be something which is child-friendly [​IMG]

2. The hopeful gardener

The hopeful gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My toddlers ,2 yrs 2months,main interest,appart from making using a computer a major challange is eating things.She did the watering thing,mainly over watering strawberries(waste of time small people do not understand that green means not ready,tho we have stopped her eating strawberry flowers!At 16 months she could efficiently strip purple flowering broccolli,I still don't know if if's any good(under mesh this year).However she can put her size 7s an a caterpiller with the best of them,push her little wheelbarrow around and will help you sprinkle seeds,parsley and salad are good in window boxes or pots otherwise it all ends up in one place,she also now has a little patch of her own with compost in it,no to heavy for small trowel,this has stopped her tunneling in other areas.Theres tons more for her to do,picking washing,eating being favorite..hope you have as much fun as we do.

3. sam k

sam k Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    there is a wonderful new book out this year by kim wild all about gardening ideas for you and your children.

4. Smiler

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Does anyone know what this book is called?

[ 03. September 2005, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Smiler ]

5. sam k

sam k Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi there,
    Kim wildes book is called GARDENING WITH CHILDREN
    published by Collins

6. Smiler

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll have a look next weekend.

7. LesH

LesH Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    One way to keep children intrested during the winter is to get them growing mustard and cress on
    kitchen roll and a saucer/plate. ten days later, if it's kept damp, they can be eating it. To those who have not done this before,plant the cress three days before the mustard.

8. Ibblebibble

Ibblebibble Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

haven't got a clue what to plant at this time of year but always find winter pansies a good grower and pretty for my 3 yr old

9. Smiler

Ratings:
    +0
    I have planted cress seeds with the children at my nursery plenty of times before, they work really well. Earlier in the year I planted some sunflowers with my daughter(as you can see from my avatar!).

I went to visit some friends a couple of weeks ago and they had some very small trees. When I asked, they explained that they had grown from conkers...so we went to the park at the weekend and Ellie planted them on Sunday.

Pansies sound like a good idea too. Thanks [​IMG]

10. Larburnum

Larburnum Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Great Fun.. My son used to plant all sorts of seeds in our small garden. We had an acorn which produced an oak tree, and a chestnut which grew into a chestnut tree. We kept them until they were about 8 ft high and thought it better to get them out before they took over our garden. My friends who are farmers dug them out and planted them on his land. That is nearly 30 years ago and they are really well established trees now,and quite sentimental.