1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Plants for a back yard

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by reddolphin, Mar 21, 2005.

1. reddolphin

reddolphin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone, I am new to this site and to gardening in general.

I have recently got my own place but have no garden!! It does have a small back yard (NW facing)which apparently catches the sun all summer. It does have a VERY small trough of soil against the left hand (sun catching side) wall the rest I'm afraid is lovely concrete...

I would like to spend a lot of time out there in the summer and would like lots of colour and fragrance day and (possibly) night. Any ideas please!!!

2. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi reddolphin (Why the name?) If you dont want to get rid of the concrete that leaves you with container gardening. Dont worry you can get great results. For your choice of plants id check out a good garden centre and ask the staff for advice. Sorry i dont know any in your area but im sure someone will be able to help. It sounds like your wee patch could get pretty hot so id mention that when asking for advice as many plants can suffer from scorch. Id also invest in a basic irrigation system that will take the hastle out of watering and shouldnt cost a fortune. Finally, those hammocks with their own frames are very comfortable, all you need now is the sun :cool: