1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

plants for a pergola

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by suzie hawker, Sep 19, 2012.

1. suzie hawker

suzie hawker Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I am currently having a pergola built with 4 planters one at each corner, 2 will get sun and I was planning to grow grape vines in them to cover some of the structure but the other 2 will get little sun can anyone suggest what I could plant in those that will grow in shade and go with the grape vines please.
    Many Thanks

2. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Hi Suzie, if you tell us which zone you live in, we can give you more accurate suggestions...

3. suzie hawker

Ratings:
    +0
    Of course sorry, I am based just outside Brighton on the south coast.

4. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    hi again - if you plan to put plants in a planter you have to consider that the roots will be compressed eventually and the plant might die. But if you change the soil and cut the roots every now and then, they could be allright.
    You will have to place some branches/twigs firmly tied to the structure on its "roof"/ they will offer support to the climber and protection from the frost in winter and from the sun in summer.
    As for plants you want something that provides enough coverage with the leaves but nothing too exuberant that suffocates other plants/ so for example different variety of lonifera japonica that doesn't mind the shadow or passiflora cerulea that can live in partial shadow...
    [​IMG]lonicera japonica @ phoenixperennials.com
    [​IMG]
    passiflora [email protected]

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      I know we keep asking questions, Suzie, but it helps to get a clearer picture of the situation..........so how big will the containers be? Wisteria, Roses, Honeysuckle as permanent structure, are some suggestions anyway. Then there's quite a few annual climbers that could adorn the Pergola as well.:coffee:

• Like Like x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        You not going to suggest a C. armandii then, Armandii? :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
        • suzie hawker

Ratings:
          +0
          Thanks for your help so far, I am a complete novice so this is great. The planters are about 2.5 feet deep and about a foot across we have had one built in each corner, also any advice on grape vine varieties to go in the to that get sun would be great :) thanks

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Nice one Kristen Cracking idea:dbgrtmb:....it's an evergreen Suzie with a mellow scented flower in late wintertime...glorious:dancy:
          I've got a 'thing' about hops but they need the sunny side:dbgrtmb: google them and see what you think:dbgrtmb:

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          I would never thrust myself on a person, Kristen:heehee:.......but now you mention it:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Like Like x 1
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            I had a pergola running the length of my previous house (my garden was north facing, so it only got the sun on one half at sunrise and the other half at sunset). I adored sitting there. But, I would like to share one little drawback: those foliage covered beams (dark, shady, cool) became a magnet for snails!!! After just 2 years every beam was smothered in the things *shudders*.

Just saying :redface:

• Like Like x 1
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,218
              There are plenty of plants that enjoy climbing or being trained up a pergola and most of them will be fairly happy even in the shade as the upper parts of the shaded ones are likely to aim for the sunny side anyway.

The down side of all this (apart from Mum's snails :heehee:) is that your containers are not necessarily large enough for some of them. For instance, most grape vines (assuming you wish to have a good crop of grapes) will find the pots too restrictive but there are some that do quite well in pots. Most of the seedless varieties are not suitable for pots. If you go on holiday in the summer then you will need someone to water them for you.

Be aware that vines don't like their roots to get too hot so, as you're pots will be in the sun, don't have them in a colour, or material, that gets too hot.

• Like Like x 3
              • suzie hawker

Ratings:
                +0
                ok thanks again, I have read that I can plant the grape vines in autumn what about the C. armandii or other passiflora cerulea ?

• theruralgardener

theruralgardener Gardener

Ratings:
                +149
                If the plants will be in heavy shade, Clematis alpina, (there are lots of varieties, different colours and heights) does well. It's also happy in a container. You can plant clematis any time to be honest - but autumn and spring are good. Plant them a bit deeper than they were in the pot, (helps to avoid clematis wilt) They don't like to dry out, so will need watering in a container.

I'm not sure that the passion flower would do well in heavy shade?