1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Plants from France to UK

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by noisette47, Mar 11, 2019.

1. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,360
    Ah...it's expensive and complicated if you're a white european. If you're from a former colony, Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, a fair bit of central and coastal Africa, no problem :biggrin:. I would have thought that the biggest problem in the UK are the illegal immigrants, not the above-board ones!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,976
      Ahh, but there lies the problem.
      How do you control the illegals, lets face it, you can't call them that anymore, they are economic migrants or asylum seekers, illegals dont exist anymore.;)
      "Above board" immigrants, yes fine, but they seem to then allow Auntie "whats her name" and second cousin Abdul the right to just wander over and settle.
      Most of the Calais invaders seem to cite the fact that they have some distant relative already living here as their right to come here.

As to EU citizens, no problem, but I do think if you intend living in someone else's country you should go for citizenship and at the same time give up you original citizenship.
      Having you cake and eating it comes to mind, and we all know the EU dont like that kind of thing.

• noisette47

Ratings:
      +14,360
      Trust me, I'd chuck the English passport tomorrow :biggrin: But the French don't insist that naturalised French do that, don't even give you the option! The Spanish do. What 'cake' is it that I'll be having twice, though? Unless the law changes within two years, I'd have been disenfranchised in UK, whether I have property there or not, whether I pay tax there or not. I've not been able to vote in Presidential elections here, until now.
      Fair enough, I know of ex-pats who blithely hop back to the UK for health care, eye care, dental care, MOTs for their RHD cars......and yes, I think they're abusing the systems in both countries, but they don't have dual nationality, AFAIK. The only advantage I can think of is that, if I had children I wished to disinherit, I could opt for an English will to be effective, rather than a French one. Doesn't arise....
      On a less personal level, why the hell should the EU bend over backwards to accommodate a nation (or 52% of one) that has chosen to leave the club? The English want out, fine....if and when the complete idiots and criminals running the show get their sad act together sufficiently to agree how and when to do it! But why should they make concessions? Because 'they need us more than we need them'?? Errr...I really don't think that they do......

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • noisette47

Ratings:
        +14,360
        And breathe .....:roflol:

• Funny Funny x 3
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
          Ratings:
          +5,368
          Theres one little problem to that. In order to apply for citizenship, one has to fulfill certain requirements. Assuming its the same in all EU countries as it is here, there are 5 of them. One is time based.

Depending on how long you have been living out of the UK, you are to a certain extent already disenfranchised. As you will be aware, UK citizens living in the EU were not allowed to vote in the referendum. Despite being in a group that will be seriously affected by a leave vote.

Yet (and this is one thing that annoys me) refugees that have been granted UK citizenship, as long as they are registered to vote, were able to! If British citizens living in the EU after are disqualified from voting after living there for a certain amount of time, should not the reverse be true?

• Informative Informative x 1
          • pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,976
            I think I need to explain.
            I had relatives that moved to Australia more than 30yrs ago, they went for citizenship but kept their dual passports.
            I'm not sure why they wanted to remain British and also Australian.
            But anyway, have put up with them bending my ear now for 30yrs how shite the UK is, but they wont give up the British passport.

They like to come back from time to time, and although they enjoy it, the weather is cra*p, restaurants are cra*p, hotels are not as good as down under.

I've yet to come across anyone who has left the UK that dont spend the best part of their time running the place down.

But there are lots of people out there that will risk their lives in rubber boats to get out of France and into the UK .:scratch::biggrin:

I'm guessing its about where you come from and always aspiring to go somewhere better.

Good luck to anyone who finds their ideal spot, just dont keep telling me how much better it is than the place I live.
            I can work that out for myself.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
              Ratings:
              +5,368
              @pete No need whatsoever to explain.

For one UK citizen to run down the country to another UK citizen is just part of the British way of life. If a foreign national runs down the UK to that same person, then he/she suddenly becomes patriotic, and defends the country to the hilt.

Isnt it everyones aspiration to do better for themselves? Even if it means moving out of the country? Its called social mobility…. :) On that subject, I had to laugh at a female tory MP (cant remember her name) on tv a few weeks ago. She stated "social mobility is the right for everyone to own a car and be able to go where they please in it!":biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • pete

Retired
                Ratings:
                +85,976
                Obviously she never tried driving round the M25.:biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 4
                • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
                  Ratings:
                  +5,368
                  The M25 is unique! Its the only linear Car park in the world! :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 3
                  • Funny Funny x 1
                  • noisette47

Ratings:
                    +14,360
                    Your rellies sound like perfectly integrated Australians :biggrin: Please Sir :yay: I do try not to knock the UK but obviously, if I'd thought that it was that wonderful, I wouldn't have left! My personal experience of (most of) it was pretty dire, and getting worse all the time, so when my Dad died, Mother and I decided to go for it. As an aside, the pleasant crescent of unremarkable semis in a quiet market town where I lived before, now has three British families left out of the 120 households. The most widely-spoken language in the town centre is Polish. Is it any wonder I feel more at home here? :scratch: BUT..Do you really believe that Brexit will make everything all right again?

• Like Like x 2
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • pete

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +85,976
                      No I dont because that is not what leaving the EU is about, in my view.

I dont like the way the EU want, more and more. to run the country we live in, it goes much further than just wanting to not hear Polish voices when I'm shopping.

• Agree Agree x 2
                      • Friendly Friendly x 2
                      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                        Ratings:
                        +6,097
                        Perhaps I have missed the point here but. I have no problems with colour and all that. OK here where I live, the voices I hear are mainly Indian and Asian with a lot of Chinese thrown in. Who cares? We are all human and have a right to life. Considering todays traumatic events, just for a moment imagine. We Brits are suddenly caused to, up sticks and flee. Would we not be in much the same state. I believe our main problem is. We want to rule our country and inhabitants. NOT to be governed by a group of nations. The Christian apostle Paul said. 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do' I think this is good counsel.

• Like Like x 1
                        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                          Ratings:
                          +118,484
                          I was in Rome last year (enjoyed it) but was never able to talk as loudly or shove my way through a group of people the way they did. So I don't qualify under that statement. :whistle: :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 1