1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Plants grown from seed

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Victoria Plum, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    I'm having a bit of a problem with my cabbage plants. They are just getting to the 'plant' stage from being a seedling. I sowed them in modules and some are growing fine with nice thick stalks. Some however have an extremely thin bit of stalk just where the soil level is. It's really odd, lovely thick stalks above, but kind of floppy at soil level and extremely thin. The thin bit is a few millimeters in length.

My Dad suggested I put some more compost around the top of the plant to support the thin bit.

Anyone have any knowledge of this problem?

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Although it says in some books not to do that, I had the same problem with my pak choi. I grew them on the window sill & they got too leggy. I earthed up the long stem to support them & i've just harvested & frozen them, no problems

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,722
    I think the often happens when they are grown like this.
    One reason why they are best transplanted.

Just plant them a bit deeper and bury the thin stem when you do.

4. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    That's great advice, thank you. It is so thin it's like cotton! How on earth do they grow nice big growth above that!

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,722
    You can actually get a second root system form above the thin part if you keep them moist once transplanted.

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I invariably plant things deeper when I repot them. As you say Victoria P, some can have very spindly stems that need support. Also some flowers, especially Cosmos, grow dog-legs when they are young, if they are allowed to flop over at some point. By planting them a lot deeper, you can bury the entire dog-leg, and have a really good looking plant again.