1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

plants under a tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by fleabag155, May 15, 2009.

1. fleabag155

fleabag155 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have a 30 foot high coppiced plane tree. It is on a slope at the back of the garden. The base arounf the tree is bare earth with lots of roots showing through. Either side of the tree, the garden has been levelled to give planting areas in terraces, but we couldn't terrace any closer than 1.5m to the tree because the roots were too big to build on.

any idea what I can plant under the thee to produce a bit of colour? I was thinking something evergreen, maybe a ceanothus, one of the ground cover ones, but there are so many roots I may have a job getting a hole big enough to plant one.

Thanks for your help

2. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Fleabag

I think a ceanothus might struggle around the base of your tree. But if you want a ground cover type of plant that will colonise a difficult bit of terrain, how about one of the periwinckles? It has a pretty blue flower but needs careful watching because it can be too invasive.

Rose of Sharon is another toughie that can tolerate dry shade if you want something bigger.