1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Plastic/Blowaway Greenhouse Repair

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by kyleleonard, Mar 8, 2016.

1. kyleleonard

kyleleonard Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +950
    Hello!

I have a large-ish ''blowaway'' greenhouse which I got around 2014.. and since then it's been battered by hailstone and heavy snow sitting on top of it (it's at my parents' so I don't get to it often) so the cover was ruined and cut to ribbons.

I covered it over Christmas/winter with a green plastic cover, but it doesn't allow any light in, was to prevent it blowing away.

I have looked around and can't seem to find a replacement cover that would fit mine, maybe they stopped making the size? Anyway - has anyone ever repaired one of these using cellophane? or something a bit thicker than cellophane?

Hoping to start using it in the next few months and don't really want to buy a new one.

As always, Thanks!

Kyle :blue thumb:

2. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    You could use polytunnel polythene to make a cover, depending on it's location there are a couple of ways to do this. If on soil then trenching in would be the way to go. If on a hard surface then a base rail setup would work.

Any photo's?

Steve...:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • kyleleonard

Ratings:
      +950
      Not got any photos of it I don't think, I'll take one this week, though!

It's quite big, has a big open space on the left and shelving on the right. Can't find it being sold anywhere.

• kyleleonard

Ratings:
      +950
      The repair process has begun, emptied and stripped it of all of its plastic - so just a frame to work with. Going to use thick clear plastic to manufacture a cover for it, it should last longer than the original thin one did!

• Rustler

Rustler Super Gardener

Retired (Early)
      Ratings:
      +1,217
      Gaffer tape is your friend here. The silver coloured one even better. Wrap the edges of polythene with a few layers and you will get so much more strength for putting holes in for cable ties or any other fastenings.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,089
        With mine the covers loose the plastic due to the sun rays degrading them leaving just the green reinforced plastic mesh. I put a tough clear plastic over the frame with the cover then put over the top of that.
        If theres a downpour some water may gather but thats easily moved and the set up seems to work well for me.
        As for the ripped zips.what a pain in the ****! they are. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
        • kyleleonard

Ratings:
          +950
          I think I might go down this route, should make sure all the holes I made when tying it up are covered, cheers!

• kyleleonard

Ratings:
          +950
          Ok, so yesterday this happened;

[​IMG]

and it got to this temperature inside;

[​IMG]

• CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +30,607
          Some greenhouse supply stores sell tape made for greenhouse plastic. I have some but I also found this other tape even better. It is the tape sold near the plastic shrink film that you buy for windows. I bought this roll of clear tape (slight scrim in it) and have found it to be my go to for clear plastics.
          Let me see if I can find a pic of the product....
          hmm, sorry can't find a pic but it wasn't the double sided stuff they sell to glue the shrink film. It looks like the reinforced shipping tape for sealing up cardboard cartons. Does a smashing job and it stuck through the winter on the outside of something I mended last year... :)

• Like Like x 1