Play Area

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by sharon, Oct 13, 2005.

1. sharon

sharon Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This isnt a plant enquiry, but i would like to section off a part of my garden for a climbing frame and slide. I was previously thinking about using bark chippings, but think that maybe it would blow about a bit, and not sure if cats would be enticed by it, though there is only one cat in our lane. So I have been toying with the idea of the padded slabs, that you usually find in playgrounds. Firstly i know they can be expensive, but the climbing frame i am using will be around for about 7 years, due to manufacturers guidelines and think that in that time i will end up spending quite alot on replacing the bark that would blow away. Does anyone have any experience of either methods. The grass would be up to the edge so fencing the bark in would mean extra edging of the lawn which just adds to the effort of mowing a large lawn. Just not sure if the practicalities of the slabs would outway the look. Any opinions would be welcome

2. cathysue

cathysue Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    As a mum and childminder I would go for the bark. We do tend to overprotect our children somewhat. They have to learn for themselves what is and isn't dangerous, we can only guide them and give them cuddles when they fall.
    Bark doesn't usually blow away (unless you live somewhere that is substantially drier than the rest of the UK?)and cats tend to prefer soil or small gravel to bark. The bark may get spread around a bit but it soon sweeps up. It's cheap and you probably wouldn't need to top it up that often.

Good luck
    [​IMG]

3. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I agree. I haven't any kids at home but my grandson plays on the swings in the local recreation ground whch are surrounded by bark, and I often walk the dogs there. The bark doesn't blow away, and is easily swept back into place when scattered by play. I have some in my garden and the cats don't like it [I have two].

4. sharon

sharon Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that, i just imagined having bark all over my garden. Should have muscles on muscles by monday as i start taking the turf up tomorrow.

5. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    When I was a kid our playground was paved with concrete. We soon learnt not to fall off things.

6. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    My wife is a Childminder and we tried bark but the kids threw it,kicked it everywhere and some even enjoyed the taste. Grass seems best for us and when it's wet a slabed area is available. We are looking into Astro turf or similar material to replace a gravel section which would complete the race circuit
    :D

7. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Me I'd just turf it and let the grass grow or (wild idea) sow with a meadow mix and just scythe it after seeding - sand, bark or gravel have their problems - including cats, and spread, concrete - just a tad hard, and rubber slabs - too muc.