1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pleached Hedge to visit in East Anglia?

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by Kristen, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I'm growing a pleached hedge, and it occurs to me that visiting a mature one before it has its leaves on would help me see how it is trained

Anyone know of gardens to visit that have a pleached hedge somewhere near me - in East Anglia ...

2. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    There was one at Writtle College in Chelmsford. It was there when I was studying, but that was almost 10 years ago!

A friend of mine, bought several from Van Hagues Garden Centres, which are around Hertfordshire. All they used were bamboo canes, and anything that didn't follow the pattern of growing 'flat', either horizonntal or vertical, was removed.

I know the above two suggestions are perhaps a bit far away for you, but I'm sure there will be other suggestions.

Hope this Helps!

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Chelmsford would do me, thanks.

I've seen the "plants on a frame" thing, but that only gets me to two dimensions - I can't find any info about how to then train it "outwards" to form the depth of the hedge. And I don't know if I can be doing that at the same time as along.

I saw a pleached hedge in Hyde Park a moth or so ago, and it looked dreadful with no leaves on - lots of bundles of branches just tied together running along the outside horizontal training wires/canes, which is not my idea of how to do it at all! hence I thought looking at some alternatives would give me some ideas.

(I'm not sure the pictures in my blog show the problem with the Hyde Park one clearly enough, but the pictures are here)

4. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Forgive my ingnorance, and to educate me, what is a pleached hedge?:scratch:
    robert

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Its a hedge on stilts. You plant, say, Limes and train the branches horizontally and tie them where they meet the adjacent plant (and the branches fuse into one-another - for which I believe "Pleach" is the French word), and then voila! you have a hedge on legs.

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Some pictures may help