1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pleasant Surprise

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by pamsdish, Apr 28, 2009.

1. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    [​IMG] I have today had a browse around my garden and found just starting to come through the ground this dahlia !

I usually plant my tubers as deep as i can and i gave it a good covering of mulch, but as it was a very hard winter i thought it was a goner ,

I found a picture of the garden and marked the position with a twig 3 weeks ago so i was really delighted to see the first signs of shoots.

I also had 2 others further down one was a lemon and the other was purple with white petal tips no sign of those yet, but to be honest i was not as fond of those as i am of this pom pom as it flowered all summer,

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    My one and only dahlia survived Pam also Gladiola,it was a time honoured tradition when I was a lad to dig them up for winter,there must be hardier varieties out there now.

3. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Hi Walnut
    Yes i have noticed the glads for a couple of weeks now , i like to plant perrenials as i dont want to plant every year, just a few bedding plants for extra colour and ti fill the gaps :gnthb:

4. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    I left some dahlias in the ground over winter, and moved others out into the shed. The shed ones that have been potted up for a couple of weeks, are now sprouting, but there is no sign yet of the ones left in the garden. I haven't given up hope yet, though.

My zantadeschias (in the borders), which were squished by frosts, are now making a comeback, so that is a very pleasant surprise - I thought they'd had it.

You never know.........it's part of the joy of gardening!

5. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I never got round to taking out my geraniums from a sink at the front door at the end of last summer. I pruned them down and gave fresh compost and fed them a couple of weeks ago. I have lovely healthy wee plants. Survived all the frost:)

6. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Thats why we love gardening the joy we get from the small things :yho:

7. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    I am re-vamping my front garden (other thread) and while i was turning over my newly widened borders, i have found the remaining dahllias,:yho:

It just goes to show after the winter we have had , how hardy these plants are even though we have always regarded them as "tender"
    :hehe: