1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Please don't laugh! Is there a slug-resistant hosta?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mrs Flowers, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Mrs Flowers

Mrs Flowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a garden in London where slugs are generally a problem.
    But I do so love how hostas look. Is there a hosta that will resist snails/slugs?

If not, is there a way to grow them without it looking like holey lace or just simply getting completely eaten?

Ever hopeful,
    Mrs Flowers

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    Get a pet hedgehog. Failing that you could try scattering some coa r s e grit around the soil surface surrounding your hostas.

3. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Slugs will pretty much eat anything green and leafy, but with a bit of early precaution 'Sum and Substance' is very good for slug resistance and sun tolerance. My 'Patriot' also seems less susceptible, which I put down to its very early show so it has established itself before the main onslaught of slimey munchers.:)

4. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    If you're thinking of putting your Hostas in pots Mrs Flowers, then I've found a cheap way of keeping the slugs out. Smear a band of car grease, about an inch (25mm) wide just under the rim of the pot and the slugs won't cross it. If you're feeling rich, you can buy a roll of self-adhesive copper tape, but the grease works just as well!:thumb:
    Chris www.chrisodonoghue.co.uk

5. Mrs Flowers

Mrs Flowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm hoping to plant some in the borders, not in pots. I will look up sum and substance and the other one Bananaman mentioned.

Thanks,
    mrs flowers

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Pots are best for Hostas, but I have a Hadspen Blue that has proven to be resistant to them (the leaves are tougher?). I've also read that Halcyon is fairly resistant too.

This online nursery sells Hadspen Blue :)

http://www.plantpref.co.uk/index.html

7. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Not that long ago, I saw a TV gardening programme about a very large hosta collection somewhere that was remarkably slug free. Apparently, they used an organic, garlic spray they mixed up themselves to keep the plants that way.

Mind you, what the place smelled like was anybody's guess....

8. Mrs Flowers

Mrs Flowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I'm going to try Sum and Substance. I might keep in the pot until it's big enough to withstand a bit of an attack, with other precautions as well.

I like the name Flinty. It sounds like a name from an old cowboy movie.

mrs flowers