1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Please help, confused about tomatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Sky, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Sky

Sky Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

I know its really late in the season, but I grew my tom plantrs from seeds (4 of them) They are about 2ft high now, maybe 1 1/2 ft and the flowers are out on most of them.

One of the plants has split into 2 large stems, and on most of the others where the flowers were growing at the top of the main stem, more flower buds are appearing on different branches of stem.

I don't know ANYTHING about what bits to cut off, and truss and stuff like that, but my parents tell me I have to cut something off when the flowers come out? Is this right.

And also should I start using tomato feeder now?

Thanks
    Dean

2. vineman

vineman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on the variety , some you take out the side shoots.
    Feed when the first trusses have set ie you can see tiny toms where flowers used to be
    Use tom feed twice a week . enjoy.

3. Freedom_Spark

Freedom_Spark Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    Yes you should take out the sideshoots which grow between the main stem and the main branches.

[​IMG]

Also you can stop the plant growing any taller when there are four trusses on it (the truss is the group of flowers which the fruits will grow on) As you say it's well into the season so it may be a good idea for you to cut off the growth above the last truss.

I grew tomatoes for the first time this year, also from seed but unfortunately mine were hit by blight :(

Good Luck.