1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Please Help me identify this bush

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by MtAlbert6, Jan 27, 2020.

1. MtAlbert6

MtAlbert6 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have these bushes in the back of my property I need to identify as 1-2 have died and need to replace them.

In the photo it is the larger bush, not the holly.

IMG_20200126_152253723.jpg

2. KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,890
    Hi @MtAlbert6 ,

They look like Cytisus, commonly known as " Broom ". Do they have masses of small pea like flowers , probably in shades of red/yellow/purple/orange ?

Unfortunately, they are a relatively short lived plant lasting at most probably around 7 or 8 years, although they can self seed.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • MtAlbert6

MtAlbert6 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi,

Thank you for your response. The bush does not have the pods you refer to (see attached picture) and there was no bloom this summer although they are only 1-2yrs old.

Is there a type of Cytisus bush with no bloom? As it does look similar

IMG_20200127_191213798.jpg

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,694
      If they didn't bloom last year there would have been no pods.:smile:
      The pods would have been gone by now anyway.

Just wondered if the plants were pruned late, the summer before, as that would remove the flowering wood for the next spring.

A light trim immediately after flowering keeps them tidy and stops them getting tall and thin and woody. Do not cut hard back into old wood though, if the wood is brown it's best not to cut that far back.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1