1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

please help my lupin in covered in green shield bugs

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by kerrygirl, Jun 20, 2015.

1. kerrygirl

kerrygirl Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I was walking through my garden and one of my lupins has what looks like lots of white dust on it. On looking closer the stems seem like they have a fungus. I have been growing lupins with years and have never seen this before. This plant is about five years old.What has caused this and how can I cure it. Is it a danger to my other lupins and plants.
    As I was going through the photos I zoomed in and it looks like the plant is covered in green shield bugs. Please help.

Attached Files:

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,608
    I don't think they are shield bugs kerrygirl, they look like aphids. Try spraying them with washing up liquid diluted in water. It should kill them although they may not fall from the plant for a couple of days.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • kerrygirl

kerrygirl Gardener

Ratings:
      +24
      They were indeed aphids. I've never seen them before. I'm still learning. Thank you for replying.

• Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
      Ratings:
      +6,543
      Hi Kerrygirl Sheal is right and they are indeed Lupin aphid.Try as Sheal says and try to get rid of them with the washing up liquid in water.I have a small sprayer that I use to spray them with.

If you have a hose pipe then you could try blasting them off with that or a heavy rain shower might do the trick.

Pravado bug killer would do the same and it is systemic so it will go right into the stems of the plant so when the aphid starts to suck the sap they will get killed,but you have to make sure you use the spray in the evenings when the are no bees about,but it isn't a natural way of killing them.

If the plants are too far gone with the attack from the aphids you might be better off foregoing the flower spikes for this year or you might be lucky in collecting seeds but if the plant is that weak from the attack you might not get any seeds this year.

Check your other Lupin plants because they will often spread to the others but if you can see them soon enough you will be able to squish them before they get too bad...

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,994
      If you cut the flowers off lupins they often flower again later.
      Not quite such large flowers, but a second crop.

• Agree Agree x 1