Please recommend a tall columnar tree?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Oldcodger, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Oldcodger

Oldcodger Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +25
    My neighbour has erected a tv aerial, the base of which is adjacent to the top of their garden gate, is 3 or 4 metres from and is in line of sight from my kitchen window. I therefore would like to plant a columnar tree to shield it from my view. I want it to be narrow so that it does affect the plants nearby and in particular a rhubarb plant. Anyone have suggestions?

2. Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
    Ratings:
    +1,134
    We planted 3 small column-shaped trees in our garden.

1. Apple - it's one of the easiest to acquire and you can get some that grow as a single non-branching stem.

2. Amelanchier "Rainbow Pillar" - it's really nice for the birds and bees, looks lovely and grow pretty slim mit lots of almost parallel branches straight upwards

3. Almond-tree - was sold as a column shaped tree in a well know there nursery, but it doesn't seem comfortable with that, so we have to prune it once per year.

• Like Like x 1
    • The Buddleja Garden

The Buddleja Garden Gardener

Grower
      Ratings:
      +206
      Definitely go for an evergreen so the aerial doesn't reappear in winter. My first thought was the Italian pencil cypress, but here is a webpage with some other suggestions for fastigiate evergreens:
      https://www.paramountplants.co.uk/blog/index.php/columnar-evergreen-trees/

• Like Like x 1
      • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
        +7,559
        How tall and how wide at the top does it need to be to give the cover you want?

Planting a tree would mean that you will need to wait a decade or so to cover the aerial, and tree roots will always interfere with the planting around. Therefore something like a sturdy structure to support an evergreen climber might be quicker solution.

A tall obelisk, or even an ornamental bird feeder stand might cover the eyesore at least when sitting down by the kitchen table.

I have a 2m tall bird feeder supporting an evergreen Lonicera, it looks quite pretty and doubles as a bird feeder :biggrin:. Like this, but a taller version.

• Like Like x 1
        • Oldcodger

Oldcodger Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +25
          Thanks very much for your well thought out reply, as it has given me food for thought.

I was worried about the roots.

I like the idea of a sturdy structure, maybe a seat with a large fan above it to support the honeysuckle.

I like the idea of the bird feeder best, but unfortunately my neighbour has stopped feeding the birds because of rats. However, maybe I could just use it to support the honeysuckle without the feeders.