Please save my cherry tree!

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Zuba, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Zuba

Zuba Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I have a little problem, I have just purchased a dwarf cherry tree and I found some beetles on them after removing the offenders I re potted the tree and that was it until today where I found another of the little things had eaten little notches out of my leaves and so I caught him and took him to a garden center where he was identified as vine weevil. The lady led me in the direction of "provado" and said it was the only product that she could suggest. The problem I have is this, it clearly states that it is for use on ornamental plants only, I want to use it on a cherry tree although it will not produce until next year will it cause anyone any harm if they eat a cherry from the tree after I have used this or is there a safe alternative that will work, I really do not want to lose my cherry tree, the company who I purchased it from have offered a full refund but I don't want to let it go :( so they have offered me 25% back in order to get some treatments.

Thank you for reading any help much appreciated

Donna x

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Donna, use the Provado, next years crop wont be affected byit. Untreated, you wont have a cherry tree next year.:thumb::D

3. Zuba

Zuba Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Its ok found something that may work, nematodes (Nemasys Vine Weevil Killer) non harmful to children and pets:gnthb: will let you know if my cherry tree is dead or alive in a few weeks :lol:

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    What you have to remember is, nematodes are living things. They will not eradicate their food source. Only take a few out.:thumb:

5. Zuba

Zuba Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh so its best to go with the provado and it will be safe to eat next year?