1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Please spec me some evergreen plants for a mixed boundary border/hedge

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sunelectric, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Sunelectric

Sunelectric Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    There is a shared boundary at the front of my property (half is owned by my next door neighbour).

I had originally hoped to plant an impressive holly hedge but next door would prefer something less uniform. It's ok to use some holly but he would like to see it mixed and less of a "hedge".

I'd like to use as many evergreens as possible and choose plants which are striking, provide privacy and also resistance to children and footballs.

The border is probably less than a metre deep and is 4.6 metres long.

I'm thinking of stuff like: Ilex Altaclerensis, Fragrant Viburnum, mixed conifers, Pittosporum, Berberis (evergreen) etc

Does anyone have any suggestions please? Perhaps you have a picture of a similar bed?

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Sunelectric,

It is a great idea to add variety into a hedge. I would consider a few mahonias in there, they have the similar leave shape to holly but send up great spikes of flowers in mid winter
    [​IMG][​IMG]

fatsia japonicas can contrast with good leaf shape
    [​IMG]

I think they can still chuck off their leaves (not sure) but I haven`t seen one do it personally.

An evergreen wisteria climbing through

[​IMG]and winter jasmine[​IMG]

It would be lovely to see the plants you choose, so please post any pics you get of it.

3. Garden master

Garden master Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, How about Choisyas C.ternata ' Sundance ' which has bright yellow aromatic leaves. Evergreen :thumb:

4. Dave_In_His_Garden

Dave_In_His_Garden Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    How about some pyracantha as well? The footballs won't stand a chance! :D

5. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    :thumb:Then there`s, Escallonia, Elaeagnus, Griselinia, Berberis Darwinii, Berberis stenophylla and Ceanothus. All of which are evergreen.

6. Sunelectric

Sunelectric Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the recommendations. I'm almost ready to get planting :)

Would it be ok to mix evergreen with deciduous?

7. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
  8. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes you can mix evergreen with deciduous, it will give some variety to the hedge row. Make sure you have a cluster of one type of plant, perhaps in three's then you can see the change from one to another.

I would be careful with elaegnous, and some cotoneaster, as they tend to be dusty, and can irritate when pruning them.

Personally I would go for a mix of plants, that will give me a show of interest through-out the year e.g.

Rosa rugosa http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/11434.shtml This will give flowers in the summer, and will grow taller in a season than other things, and give a more informal style to a hedge.

Field Maple (Acer Campestre), this has an interesting bark, which will look good even though it is out of leaf in the winter.

Escallonia, this is an evergreen, and has nice pink flowers. No thorns, but quite a nice shrub.

Mahonia, as mentioned above, gives excellent winter colour

What about Yew, often over looked as a hedging plant, as people think it is slow growing. Its not as slow as people think. It also has nice berries.

Remember, when planting to incorporate plenty of organic matter into the planting pit, and they should be looking like a hedge in no time!

Hope this Helps!