1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pleased to meet you!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by PuzzledMonkey, May 22, 2015.

1. PuzzledMonkey

PuzzledMonkey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all,

My name's Ricardo and I'm a horti-holic... And with the terrible joke out of the way I'd like to introduce myself as a recently turned indoor gardening enthusiast with little to no horticultural experience other than my trying and failings (though I've had some successes to be pleased about) so I hope you will all put up with my constant questions.

I'm originally from London, but recently moved to Budapest, Hungary and couriered my current collection of plants with me. Some were quite happy with the movers and others quite evidently showed their protest (More on that later, though)

I live in an apartment so due to limited outdoor space, save for a few herbs and flowers out on the balcony I keep most of my plants indoors in a room with one West facing window, not ideal so I'm supplementing light with two 300w LED panels.

My main area of interest is in trees, and bonsai art and I have acquired what I like to think is quite an interesting and unusual collection of trees which are as follows:

Established trees:-
    • Monkey puzzle (5x 1 y/o seedlings)
    • Ginkgo Biloba (2x)
    • Dawn redwood (3x)
    • Silver Wattle (2x)
    • English oak (1x)
    • Lebanon oak (1x)
    • Cyprus oak (1x)
    • Black walnut (2x)
    Currently in the seed tray (fingers crossed!):-

• 10x Kumquat seeds
    • 10x Lemon tree seeds
    • 10x Japanese maple seeds
    • 10x White sakura seeds
    • 20x Rainbow eucalyptus seeds
    • 30x misc. pine from locally foraged seeds
    As well as various unidentified cacti which I will not doubt place in the ID forum later for you all to have at.

Now as I said earlier I'm interested in bonsai and I'm aware that ideally, trees and indoors aren't exactly eggs and bacon but I feel like with enough care I could manage to be successful with it, as the lamps I've purchased really are quite astonishing, and the room where my plants are mainly kept experiences quite natural temperature swings as the insulation in there is shite. Was going to fix it but actually based on my research, for the sake of it being my gardening room I think I'll leave it as it is, as Hungary has very clearly defined seasons. The air in the room is pretty dry but hoping to fix that with some rocks on trays of water.

I'm hoping that someone with experience in caring for bonsai can explain to me the process of miniaturisation. Not just pruning a tree to keep it a certain size, but how exactly you get those bonsai trees where even the leaves, flowers and fruit are scaled down much smaller than is natural. I am particularly keen to start practicing on my triplet of oaks, will make a formal thread for this later but the trees I have, have very large leaves despite being quite small seedlings themselves and would be interested to know how to begin pinching and pruning so that they eventually scale down. Look out for my thread on this later. Promise it will be shorter than this one.

For those of you that read all this, thank you for bearing with my first mammoth post I hope that was a thorough enough introduction. For those of you that didn't?

TL;DR - Hi guys my name's Ric, I like bonsai. I want to grow bonsai but how do I make the leaves all small and cute like? Cheers :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi Ric, welcome to GC :)

I have a book on bonsai somewhere as I was going to have a go and haven't got around to it yet so I may be able to help you but I should imagine there will be someone along soon who has had first hand experience and can offer you assistance.

Good luck.

• Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
      Ratings:
      +7,491
    • PuzzledMonkey

Ratings:
      +9
      Thank you for the greetings! Any advice at all is welcomed, even if not specifically regarding bonsai but more about just raising plants and trees indoors as I understand it's a hard task but I've got the bug for it and hopefully I can make it work.

• Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,631
      hello and welcome :-)

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +50,733
      Hi PuzzledMonkey and welcome.

I myself have done Bonsai for some 20 years both in the UK and here in Portugal. Mine were always outdoors in the UK but due to the heat here they are in an 'outdoor' living room ... an in/out situation in the shade.

You have some nice established trees and hopefully your seedlings will come along. Photos would be nice.

May I suggest you do a Bonsai search here and you should come up with all the information you need.

• Like Like x 1
      • PuzzledMonkey

Ratings:
        +9
        Hi Victoria,

You most certainly can expect some pictures very soon! Spent the morning taking some very nice ones that I'll post in a more formal thread in the trees topic later. I do hope you stumble across it, I have found some very relevant and helpful information on pinching and pruning techniques but would still love some tailored advice that's specific to my collection.

In the mean time if there are any pictures of some of your own works I'd love to see them! :)

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,566
        Welcome to GC Ric. I know absolutely nothing about Bonsai so won't be much help to you, sorry! :doh: You've certainly set yourself a challenge rearing trees in an apartment, good luck! :)

• Ellen

Ellen Total Gardener

Volunteer at Cats Protection
        Ratings:
        +1,984
      • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +50,733
        Here's my favourie at the moment ...

Bougainville Bonsai.jpg

• Like Like x 2
        • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +49,512
        • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Welcome to GC Puzzled Monkey:dbgrtmb: Enjoy...

• Apple Blossom

Apple Blossom Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,028
          :wow: That is such an amazing shrub???

• Apple Blossom

Apple Blossom Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,028
          Hi @PuzzledMonkey Im new to the forum too ... What a fantastic hobby you have.... Wish I was that talented, really looking forward to viewing your photos :pcthwack:

• PuzzledMonkey

Ratings:
          +9
          Very beautiful @Victoria :) What species of tree is this? I love to see bonsai when they are in full bloom, always so spectacular to see.

@Apple Blossom I don't know if I'd quite call myself talented. Just dabbling around at the moment in the hopes of some day being realising that I have in fact become quite talented :D