1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Plot size clarification

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Vince, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    I've just taken on a "half" plot allotment but I'm unsure just what size this should be, I'm sure someone one here can give me the answer?

I was under the assuption that a full size plot was approximately 300 sq yds and as such a half plot would be approximately 150 sq yds? Mine seems to be nearer 90 sq yds, should I complain because I am paying full rent for a half plot?

Thanks in advance

2. alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Generally the standard plot was established at 30 yds x 10 yds (They didn't do metres in them days!!)

So a half plot should be 30 yds x 5 yds or 15 yds x 10 yds depending on which axis it has been divided. Either way you should have about 150 sq. yards (Or if you prefer about 125 sq metres)

Best check out the general sizes of the full plots on your site though before complaining. Because you are in London, the original allotment society may have decided on smaller plots for everyone to accommodate more gardens.

a-a

ADDENDUM: - Scrungees figure are quite correct in their original format, I used the more modern measurements in yards, but as you see both are approximately the same.

• Like Like x 2
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      A standard plot is 10 square poles/2722.5 square feet, a linear pole being 16.5 feet long.

So a full size plot would be 302.5 square yards and a half size plot 151.25 square yards.

But, due to demand, some allotments could have been divided into half and quarter size plots, and may be using different terminology.

Might be a good idea to check with some other plot holders.

EDIT - AA just beat me to it whilst I was posting, with a virtually identical post!

• Like Like x 2
      • Vince

Retired
        Ratings:
        +3,499
        Thanks guys, I've checked up on the council allotment info, their standard plot size is a 10 rod plot so it seems I and all the other plot holders have been mis-lead and mis-allocated plots, it's an old derelict allotment site that has been resurrected.

I've just sent an email to the lettings officer, looks like they will have to re-measure or adjust the rent accordingly.

If they re-measure, all my digging may have been in vain! :(

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,503
        You only get 5 rods around here as a plot, at least thats what it says on the bill.

At £2.40 a rod.

• Vince

Retired
        Ratings:
        +3,499
        I've just heard back from the allotment lettings officer with an apology, I was quite correct and ALL of the 30 plots are undersized! The good news however is that there is sufficient room to bring all the plots up to size :)

• Like Like x 1
        • Bimble

Bimble Gardener

Ratings:
          +34
          You're pretty fortunate there Vince, mine is substantially smaller, well all the plots are over here. :)

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,595
          All this talk of poles and rods as measurements confuses me.

I was under the understanding that a standard allotment plot was 1/8th of an acre.

But, I understand that some allotments that are privately owned and rented out (as opposed to being run by the local council) have non-standard sizes.

In any case, my dad pays about £20 per year for his allotment. That's less than 50p per week for enough land to grow pretty much everything he needs in terms of fruit and veg, and still have enough room to keep his chickens and geese and numerous sheds.

• Vince

Retired
          Ratings:
          +3,499
          It could only happen to me! popped up the allotment today, going back in a bit. started on the additional part of the plot, buried wire, buried plastic netting but to top it all, buried paving slabs, my back is suffering as a result but I think I've got the worst out. Got a delivery of "London Waste" compost coming on Wednesday so I'm in a huge rush to get as much dug over as possible.

I'll be too knackered to plant anything come spring? Got another Greenhouse to erect at home, fruit cage to be re-located, home beds to be dug over and loads of other household chores to do.......

I did however manage to plant out my garlic yesterday, Carol blinked so I got stuck in LOL :)

• Like Like x 1