1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Plum and Apple tree advice please

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Speedbird1, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Speedbird1

Speedbird1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I have two extremely fruit laden trees, one plum and one apple. I do not know the variety of either but they both have nice tasty fruit. My problem is this however, both trees but especially the apple seem too spindly to support the weight of the fruit, the branches are really thin and generally the tree looks sorry for itself, pretty bare axcept for the fruit
    The branches ar touching the floor with the fruit.
    The plum tree is also weighted down to the floor but not quite as bad as the apple.
    Both trees need to strengthen up and not look weedy. I have tried reading "how to prune" but the images dont seem to look like my trees. They are each about 4 years old and this is the first real crop i have ever had.
    Where should I go from here? bearing in mind the trees are still full of fruit.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

2. Speedbird1

Ratings:
    +0
    Addition to the above, I went into the garden this morning and the top 3 foot had given way so I now have my first big bag of apples but the tree still has plenty more onboard.
    Obviously i cut the broken bit off cleanly but still have no idea what to do with the rest of the tree.

3. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,709
    I had a broken branch on my plum tree myself! Support the branches as best you can with poles, rope etc. Leave the plum tree unless it is in dire need of pruning (best to leave plum trees alone) and if it is then prune it immediately as it can't wait much longer.
    Prune the apple tree in winter, again if need be.

Enjoy the fruit!

4. TreeTreeTree

TreeTreeTree I know sh!t about trees

Ratings:
    +247
    Hi Speedbird1

Is there any chance you can post some pictures of your trees? Fruit trees, especially apple, fall into two fruit-position catagories: spur bearing and tip bearing. Spur bearers grow their fruit along the length of the branch, whilst tip bearers grow their fruit on the tip. Usually there is a different approach as to how the tree is best pruned, depending on if it is tip or spur bearing.

There's some good general advice here: Fruit tree pruning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. Speedbird1

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies so far:

I will try to get photos but the apple is not tip type, it has apples in little bunches along its branch length.

Its height of the central trunk is now about 5 foot with a diameter of a cotton reel and spindly long branches about 4ft long.
    Hope this helps

6. Liz7zy

Liz7zy Apprentice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plum Tree

I too have a Victoria plum tree that has been overladen with fruit and 4 branches have snapped off.

I was advised to strip half of the fruit off which I did but the wind and rain damaged it further. I did manage to support some branches with poles and rope .

Its now looking a bit sorry for itself and I do not know what to do with it. There is still fruit on it.

Liz7zy:what: