1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Plum tree pruning and maintenance

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Fat Controller, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,511
    We have had no success with our plum tree at all - mostly bugs getting into all of the fruit making them inedible, although we did have a bit of an improvement this year by using a pheromone trap. However, as the fruit formed, the branches flopped further and further over (to a worrying degree) and I am thinking that part of the problem is that I haven't pruned it at all since planting it nearly five years ago.

I am assuming that around now is a good time to prune it, but really don't know? Also, someone suggested washing/spraying the trunk with something - I think neem oil but again I could be wrong - any and all advice gratefully accepted as always :)

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,368
    @Fat Controller Plums should only be pruned immediately after the fruit has finished. Pruning late in the year can lead to it getting diseased. The biggest disease problem for them is Silver Leaf. Never prune after July unless it is one of the few late season plum trees.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,985
      You could try 'grease bands' FC..The female coddling moth can't fly so climb up the trunk to lay their eggs...causing the maggotty little critters.
      As Shiney says too late to prune now but the only other thing I can suggest is get rid of any fallen fruit and stones from off the tree.:blue thumb:

• Informative Informative x 1