Plums? What plums.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by thatfatbloke, Sep 5, 2013.

1. thatfatbloke

thatfatbloke Apprentice Gardener

HGV Driver
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi. Planted a Victoria plum in April 2011,got a few fruits on it the first year,and about 5lb last year. This year I have one solitary single plum!!. I've never pruned it or fed it,but kept it watered during the hot spells. I've noticed that some of the leaves are 'curly'. What have I done wrong and should I get my chainsaw out?.

2. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Hi, I would hold off with the chainsaw :snork:, I also planted a victoria plum in 2011 and had a few fruit in the first year, followed by none last year (although there were lots of blossom), this year I have 7 fruits and that's it but they've been the best plums I've ever tasted :blue thumb:

I've heard a few other people have had a bad year with their plum trees too so fingers crossed for next year. Regarding the curly leaves, if its anything like mine it will be aphids in the new growth...

3. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,157
    People say that plum trees alternate between good and bad years. A couple of years ago one of my branches broke under the weight (I was very peeved) and it's spent two years recovering. Don;t forget a gentle summer prune to create fruiting spurs as young trees will be putting out whippy new growth mostly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      We only got a few set this year, normally covered with em. No bees around when the blossom was out.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Lea

Lea Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,067
        Yes, Zigs has hit it on the head. No bees. I'm thinking about getting some hives myself. My poor fruit trees were just about ready to go out looking for pollinators themselves! :)

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +21,157
        I just didn't have any blossom. Plenty of bees though. Maybe our gardens should get together lol

• Agree Agree x 1