1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Polygala Myrtifolia advice and help please

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Sally2017, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Sally2017

Sally2017 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    IMG_7641.JPG IMG_7642.JPG Hi All, first post so hoping for some advice and help. I 'invested' in 2x polygala myrtifolia standards from Homebase nearly dead sale, one has flourished the other seems to be dying - some of it's leaves have a blue hue and feel crepey - it has flower buds but just looks dry and a lot of dead leaves - it's been with me for a month and no new leaf growth. Any suggestions on how to fix ? I've watered and fed but if anything it looks worse ? Thank you in advance

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Not a plant I have grown, but if after a month there are no signs of any new shoots, it may be too far gone.

A good test for any such woody stemmed plant, is to gently run your finger nail down the bark for 10mm , if it reveals a green layer then its alive, if its brown or black then that section is dead.

If the main stem shows green, think I would be temped to cut back nearly all the top growth and hope it will send out some new shoots from the top of the main stem.

Misting the stem should help any new buds break out of the harder bark.

You could also tap it out of the pot and see if there are any signs of good whitish roots; if its not growing , it can be way too easy to over water and rot any remaining good roots.

• Like Like x 1
    • Sally2017

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi, thank you for your reply - I really want to try and save it. I'd considered to cut back top growth but thought it needed leaves to grow - maybe at this point a Stick is preferable ! - I'll try your suggestions - thank you !

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
      Looking at those few greenish leaves , doubt they are making much difference to the plants health.

If its want to live, think it stands more chance without them in the hope it can push out some new healthy shoots.

The worst thing will be if its got some form of virus, then any new growth will likely be the same and the plant lost.

Best thing to do, is take some cuttings from the other plant, a mix of compost and perlite etc in this warm weather and they should soon root.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
    • Sally2017

Ratings:
      +0
      Thank you for the advice - I think it's definitely a pruning job - apparently they like acidic soil too so may Investigate that to see if helps new growth.