1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Polystyrene boxes

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Ariadae, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Ariadae

Ariadae Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +679

I have a few polystyrene boxes which I am loath to throw away-perishable food deliveries mostly.
    They are the size of a picnic coolbox, and I have looked at them a few times and thought they will come in useful one day-but for what? Any suggestions?
    ariadae :ideaIPB:

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,321

Lots of uses , pop your teracota pots in over winter stop the pot from cracking and keep the frost at bay and the plant warm

Strorage boxes for dahlia tubers

Grow veg in them like carrots

Spruce

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    My one currently has parsnips & artichokes in damp sawdust. Outside but frost free.:thumbsup:

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,931
    I used one over the hole I made in the ice on my pond.

If you upturn them over the hole it dont refreeze.

Assuming you have a pond.:D

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Like Spruce, my first thought would to be to use them for storing Dahlia tubers over winter. If you have a lot, you can break them into small pieces and use them instead of stones at the bottom of pots. They will do the same job as stones, but in addition polystyrene does eventually get waterlogged, so they will act as a water store in the same way as the moisture rententive granules - that are so expensive.

6. myra

myra Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    you could ruff up the outside with a wire brush,then paint stone coloured, and plant up with something, ive done this over the years with fish boxes, turned them into alpine planters,really quite smart looking.

myra

7. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    You could also fill it with compost and sow some plants in it, as they have just done on Gardeners World today.!

8. Ariadae

Ariadae Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +679
    Yes, thought about doing this. think it might make a bit of heat if I half fill with horse manure, top up with compost and use as a grow bag?

Thanks for tips,everyone
    Aria

9. captainhastings

captainhastings Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    ah I have a nice big Polystyrene box but being my first year the biggest issue is knowing what depth plants require. My box is 6 inches deep so I could start things off in ok but what could I grow in it full time

10. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Lettuce, radishes, mizuma, onions, stump rooted carrots, beetroot, chives and garlic.

Don't grow comfrey, burdock or oak trees.

11. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    [size=large]I actually couldn't bring myself to throw away thick polystyrene as well. I must have stored it for at least one and a half year, then it was all battered and I threw it away![/size]

[size=large]Although now thinking about it I could have used it between two pots in the winter to keep the roots warm.[/size]