1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Polytunnel Has Been Ordered

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by Chilli-Geek, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Chilli-Geek

Chilli-Geek Apprentice Gardener

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I'm new to the forum and have a question for all you experienced polytunnel growers,

My tunnel has just been ordered and should be here in a week or so and then i have to install it.. but i am wondering if anyone uses a gravity fed watering system at all? and if they are worth the hassle of setting up (compared to hand watering nearly 200 plants, some of which will not make it into the tunnel due to space)

i will mostly be growing chillies (and toms and herbs) and don't really fancy using a watering can...lol

All help is gratefully received :WINK1:

Cheers

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Automatic watering is good if you are away, working shifts or don't get home in daylight hours, or you have a lot of plants to water. But if a nozzle gets clogged then that plant gets no water ... same if there is muck in the system; orif the tank runs dry (and if a hose bursts then the place floods ...)

Manual watering means you get to see your plants as you water them and you can spot if things are wrong (Bugs, yellowing leaves, 10 of your best specimens missing!!). You can "lift" (or "lean" the pots over a bit) to gauge the weight, and from that determine how dry they are - relative to one another - and water accordingly. It's a knack that takes a bit of getting used to, but after all these years <sigh!> I can nudge a pot and know instinctively how dry it is.

Fill two pots with compost, and put one in a bucket of water, filed to the rim of the pot, for 10 minutes, then take it out and leave it to drain for half an hour, then compare the weight of the Dry and Wet pots - its a surprising difference!

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,050
    I've got a gravity fed drip system in my greenhouse. I set it up over the holiday season, so I can go away for a few days without worrying. It does the job, but all of what Kristen says is relevant. I use a clean water butt filled from the mains rather than collected rainwater to avoid getting any bits that might clog the system up. And the system needs constant monitoring and adjustment in case the drippers aren't providing enough water to one plant (or too much), or the pipes have come adrift and the butt empties itself (it does happen :()

If you are looking for a permanent arrangement then a mains fed system would be more reliable.