1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pomegranate

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by averil, Sep 15, 2012.

1. averil

averil Gardener

semi-retired
    Ratings:
    +44
    Ive grown a couple of pomegranate seeds I planted this year. Both plants are only about 10in tall. I have read conflicting reports on how hardy these plants are. Would I be able to overwinter these little uns in an unheated greenhouse or should i bring them indoors. Any advice is much appreciated ..... again! :snork:

2. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Hi Averil , mine have survived outdoor , they get dormant in winter but they are super hardy , funny thing done the same thing as you and kept half indoor and halfoutdoor the one indoor died , while the one outdoor are still there , but the worst think of all is that they are ever so slow growing plants .

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,995
      As usual, my reply is, it depends on how cold it gets this winter.

I'd be inclined to keep them above freezing for this year at least, next year if you plant them out in late spring they should be ok to overwinter without too much trouble.

• Like Like x 1
      • averil

averil Gardener

semi-retired
        Ratings:
        +44
        Hi Sal we meet again :). Hi Pete :). Thanks for the advice. I think i will bubble wrap it well in the greenhouse but if it gets too cold I shall bring it in. I just wasnt too sure about it because its still such a youngster. Thanks again folks :ThankYou:

• pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,995
        Expect the leaves to fall off, and hardly water while dormant.
        Main thing I find with pomegranate is that it does actually grow quite fast, but the growth needs to ripen before winter, if not you get a lot of die back the following spring.
        So full sun, preferably against a hot wall when planting out.

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,998
        Averil , mine survived -14 in 2010 in a protected spot as seedling , obvious like Pete say it all depend of how cold and where you live , but they are ever so easy to germinate , worst case scenario, buy another pomegranate next year and make few more .
        Do you know what uppen to mine? totally forgot about them and pull them out last spring :dunno:.

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,995
          After 3 or 4 yrs you might get flowers, although ripe fruit in the UK is highly unlikely.
          Sept 12 076.jpg

• Like Like x 1
          • averil

averil Gardener

semi-retired
            Ratings:
            +44
            Thanks Pete and Sal. Hey Sal you dug yours up!!!!!!!:cry3:.... that would horrify me. Pete I dont really expect to get any fruit from one but I really do like the flowers (thanks for showing the pic its lovely). Its only this year that I found out you can grow them over here

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
            Ratings:
            +50,907
            The trees around me are positively heaving with fruit at the moment, better than most years and we have had a very dry summer. We also had one of our driest winters ever when normally we get torrents of rain ready for the summer drought.

I love pomegrate juice but cannot stand to eat the fruit itself with all those pips.

But, yes, it is a beautiful tree and they sell miniatures here also, ie, bonsai.

• Like Like x 1