1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Pond is very silty after fish introduced.

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Eden1, May 15, 2022.

1. Eden1

Eden1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    Hi,

I have a small pond and have filled it 4 weeks ago. I have a few oxyginators in the pond and the water has been cyrstal clear. I put 6 gold fish into it yesterday and they seemed to be loving life exploring it for the first few hours. Then it started to get really silty and I can hardly even see the fish now. They seem to be sitting at the bottom not moving much.

Any tips to get the water clear again? Would the silt be bad for the fish?

You can see from the photos before and after fish.

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,630
    I presume the fish are poking around in the sediment on the bottom.

All you can really do is leave it alone and hope it settles, you could have a problem with the water turning green in the next few weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Eden1

Eden1 Gardener

Ratings:
      +52
      Is there anything I can do to sort this?

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,630
      Not that I know of, fish will always poke around.

• Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,731
      Give it a week or so and see what happens. If you only introduced the fish at the weekend they will still be settling in, hence the mad exploration period followed by the lurking at the bottom to recuperate. Hopefully as they settle in, the silt will too. They will continue to poke around a bit at the bottom - they are a type of carp, after all - but if you have enough oxygenators and other plants that will give them some cover and make them feel at home. I don't have any in my pond now - too attractive to herons - but the ones I had before behaved a bit like a herd of deer*, shy prey creatures who enjoyed exploring their 'forest' and sunning themselves when the opportunity offered, but were also quick to take alarm!

• Like Like x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,201
        It looks like you allowed a lot of soil to collect in the pond, which without fish settled to the bottom.

Now the fish are in they are disturbing the silt.

The reason they are staying on the bottom is because there is no cover for them to venture near the surface.
        This may naturally pass as they become more confident, but you could add a load of oxyenator plants that are available quite cheaply and other floating plants as they will help clear things and give them some cover.

You could also try one of the Flocculant Pond Carifiers to see if that helps reduce the cloudiness, though not something we have ever used.
        A filter unit would help but looks like you are just keeping it natural.

• Eden1

Eden1 Gardener

Ratings:
        +52
        Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes I'm trying to keep its as natural as possible, fish weren't really something I thought much about until my kids pestered me into it.

Another question about feeding the fish. When I sprinkle the flakes the fish don't see the food and it disolves into the water. When the water was clear they came straight up to munch on it. Will they not starve?

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,201
        If concerned you could get some mini pellets instead of the flake, they should not disolve as quickly.

Most fish are generally overfed so would not worry about them not seeing the food, they smell it just as much as seeing it.

Your potted plants , did you cover the soil up with a good layer of pea gravel or similar ? otherwise the soil will continue to leach into the water and the fish will grub into the soil looking for food , compounding the issue.

• mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
        +3,718
        When I had my pond I'd Hoover the bottom with an old wet & dry vacuum cleaner 2 or 3 times a year.