Poor soggy chooks..

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by Sarah Giles, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Sarah Giles

Sarah Giles Gardener

Volunteer/crazy person
    Ratings:
    +711
    How are your girls managing with the weather?

As soon as I let mine out at the minute it starts blowing a gale and soaking them! Had to towel dry them the other day, poor things. They don't seem too bothered though and I have to keep putting them back in the coop when it's really bad!

[​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • philomel

philomel Pottering in SW France

Ratings:
      +846
      If you can rig up a shelter for them, they do like to have somewhere that isn't their main house. An old table with anti wind net or some other cover round three sides of it for example, with the cover facing the prevailing wind so they have a bit of respite. Doesn't need to be totally weatherproof, just somewhere with a bit of shelter from wind and rain. :chicken:

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,996
        Ours are under a corrugated plastic roof covering their run and coop, keeping both the hens and the straw covering to their run dry.

• Like Like x 3
        • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          I'd definitely go with the shelter idea Sarah:dbgrtmb:
          For most of yesterday my girls were penned up in their run (with much screaming) but it was really quite dangerous out there with the gales.I did let them out for an hour or so later in the day when it eased a bit but they were still getting blown sideways:rolleyespink:...There's more than enough places for my girls to shelter in the garden but they still insist on getting bounced across the lawn:doh:

• Like Like x 2
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            If mine are having their playtime, the moment the weather is not to their particular liking, they will automatically return to their own run for shelter (it has a heavy duty cover over the run area).

• Like Like x 1
            • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +8,435
              Hi Sarah, Ive been known to blow dry my girls! I'm being serious. :redface:
              A sheltered area would be the best thing for your girls mine have an area on my veggie patch, it's perfect for them because it keeps the dirt dry so they can dust bathe all year round & they can get out of the rain, they can get in their run but often don't! They also go in the greenhouse (which worries me to death when it's windy) & under the conifer hedge. Ex batts don't have much survival knowledge so will just stand out in the rain! You are spot on to put them in their run though. :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1