1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Poorly Phalaenopsis

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Cactusflower, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Apprentice Gardener

Artist
    Ratings:
    +14
    Poorly orchid upload.jpg Can anyone help?

I love my orchids, but one of them met with disaster at the hands of a family member (who shall remain nameless :mute: !) and landed on the floor in a heap of compost. It was hastily bundled back into its pot with less than tender care, and since then, the roots seem to have shrivelled and died, leaving it very unsteady and liable to come right out of the compost if touched. The two main leaves now look very wrinkly, but I have been misting it carefully and one nice new leaf has emerged. I think I can see one or two greenish roots among the dead ones - but it might be wishful thinking!

Do you think the roots will grow back and "anchor" the plant in its pot, or is that unlikely?
    Is there anything I can do to help it recover? Any help gratefully received!

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Apprentice Gardener

Artist
    Ratings:
    +14
    By the way, the orchid isn't normally kept on the sunny windowsill - that was just the best place to take the photo!

3. Wardy

Wardy Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Well orchids can be a bit unpredictable. One minute they're fine the next they're not. Where do you normally keep the orchid? How often do you water it? As for its recovery you could try a orchid feeder that you stick upside down in the soil and it slowly releases a liquid fertiliser that should help your orchid recover.
    Good luck and i hope this helps :)

4. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    All the shrivelled roots need to be cut off as close to the plant as is possible but only cut off the shrivelled root up to where you have a bit of root that looks green and healthy,( I can see it at the front of the plant in the photo).If you have any other green roots then you might be lucky that the plant will regenerate but if the leaves are shrivelling and going limp then the plant could be dying.

I see the leaves on the left of the plant look quiet healthy and the weak ones could be because the plants had been left to dry out for a long period of time.

Do as I say and you might just be able to save the plant,but if not they are quiet cheap to buy these days as they are produced by the millions through micro propergation so you should be able to get a replacement of even the same colour quiet easily.

When we bought our first one in the eightie we paid £21 for it and I was gutted when it died as it was a lot of money to lose in those days and it stopped me buying another one for years,but now as the price has dropped I have loads of them at various stages of flower and the beauty of this plant is that it will flower for months so are great value for money and are great for giving as presents:smile: