1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Poorly Rose In Container - Vine Weevil

Discussion in 'Roses' started by fred88, May 27, 2020.

1. fred88

fred88 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All, our pot grown David Austin "Olivia Rose" has been lovely for 2 years, but this year its been distinctly poorly. The leaves were a poor colour, its wilting and there's leaf drop. There's no leaf damage or obvious signs of a problem above ground apart from general poor condition.

So I decided to check the compost by tipping it out onto some sheeting. I found five or six of the white Vine Weevil grubs, but (I didn't count) probably around 30 of the adult Vine Weevils. The compost looked good, wasn't water logged. The root system was not as strong as expected.

I thought it was the grubs that were responsible for root damage not the adult, the adult being responsible for leaf damage.

Could the below ground adult Vine Weevil infestation be responsible for the Rose's poor health? Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

F

2. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,655
    I've found any presence of vine weevil = root damage. I've never seen that many adults in one place, in fact it does sound extreme......pictures, we need pictures