Possible Succulent ID Please :)

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Kyla, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Kyla

Kyla Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all! After stalking here a little while, I have decided to join in on the action. I am looking to ID a plant. A bit of history:
    A recently (a few months back) cleared this area of weeds and laid some wood chippings after moving in. In the last few days, these little plants have sprung up.
    They are growing in clumps and appear almost to be loosely attached under ground (the soil, I might add, is very mulchy with poor drainage).
    There are thin roots attached to a larger thicker root which is growing horizontally under the ground, with the shoots coming upward (see crude drawing attempt for an explanation). The leaves are linear and smooth on the edges.
    The leaves are fleshy like a succulent but not thick like a rock rose or anything like that. I am new to the UK and unfamiliar with varieties of plants here - just not sure what this could be :)

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,360
    Think it could be the overwintering shoots of Sedum spectabile.

3. Kyla

Kyla Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Pete! I am going to keep an eye as they grow and see if they begin to look like this - I cant find very reliable shoot images in a quick search to compare. If so, I will be pleased - what a pretty plant!

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,360
    Well, others might know more, and it will probably not do much for the next few months, but it looks like something worth having.