1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible withdrawal of free TV licence for the over 75's

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Mike Allen, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Me. I don't really watch much TV. If and when I do, I admit the freeview channels are usually my choice.
    So my viewing is interupted by adverts, and yes, most viewings are repeats. Midsommer Murders and that Belgian fella who walks funny.

My gripe is possibly this. The licence fee aurthorises you and me to legally recieve a telegraphic signal, message, transmission. This is a HM gov, matter. IMO the BBC or any other sender out of wireless/TV signals is or should not me able to claim the revenue.
    Albeit. At one time. The BBC radio or later TV, was second to none for quality. Progam content. News readers and others pronunciation etc. Program quality. In the past, we could switch on and be kept upto date with the news and world affairs. We could relax and enjoy an hour or so of entertainment such as ballroom dancing, orchestral music etc. Now perhaps you might switch on, in the hope of following your favourit soap. Bad luck. It's football. Sport etc. Then we learn of the salaries of certain ones. Where do these amounts come from. So perhaps you or I have just watched the TV and the match of the day. We are then bored to tears, listening to whatever they are called, carrying out a post mortem of the match. These guys are getting paid thousands for what? They are getting high flying decorations. Sir this and Baroness that.

Come on friends. Have your say.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
      Ratings:
      +5,368
      In a post I made the other day, I commented on the fact that I thought something was amiss in the UK. If the free TV licences are withdrawn, then this would to me seem to be just another thing to confirm my thoughts. Especially when tv licences here were abolished for all a while ago. If this country can do that, why cant others?:dunno:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,784
        Hi @Sandy Ground my friend it seems that it is payed for in another way;):)

2019 January
        Sweden this week became the latest country to abolish the radio and TV licence fee.
        With effect from 1 January, the old system of a payment due from any household with a radio or TV set has been replaced by a fee levied on individuals liable for income tax aged over 18. The fee is based on 1% of taxable income, up to a maximum of Skr 1,300 ($144) per person. (£106.44p)Anyone with no taxable income, such as full-time students, will not have to pay.

2400 SEK annual license fee per household for 2018), while people who earn less than 13600 SEK per month will pay a reduced amount, subject to means testing.

The fee will be collected by the Swedish Tax Agency, which will pay the proceeds into a public service account which will be used to fund the country’s public broadcasters: SVT (TV), Sveriges Radio and educational service Utbildningsradion.

The move was agreed by Parliament in November last year after an enquiry by a cross-party committee. Last year, the radio and TV fee was set at Skr2,400 ($266) per year.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Creative Creative x 1
        • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
          Ratings:
          +5,368
          Quite correct @wiseowl it is collected in other ways. Its seen as a fairer system by most, mostly because nobody can get away with having an unlicensed tv. Notice how much lower it is now though. From 2 400 SEK to 1 300 SEK. Thats quite a reduction! Maybe something that can be copied there?

Edit: I just checked the figures in wiseowls post. They are: 70% of Swedish households will pay the maximum of 1 300 SEK per year. 20% will pay a reduced rate, and 10% nothing at all.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,541
            So what would happen for the likes of myself that don't possess a television. Would we have to pay it anyway - very unfair!

• Agree Agree x 2
            • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
              Ratings:
              +89,784
              Hello playmates just to add with our governments record they would probably charge my two dogs and a parrot for watching TV :heehee:so its a no from yours truly;):smile:

The already heavily taxed Swedes will be forced to pay a compulsory tax to finance the public service. This, regardless of whether they are watching, or even own a TV.

The tax will be higher than the licence fee. The previous fee was paid per household – now everyone over 18 in the household will pay even if there is only one, or no, TV.

This means that a family with two adults and two children over 18 living at home will be forced to pay approximately €530 per year. The same applies to pensioners in retirement homes where they share a TV – each pensioner will have to pay separately.

It has also been decided that dead people shall pay the TV tax – people who die will be forced to pay the new tax the rest of the year through their relatives.

• Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +8,489
                BBC should be abolished or at least pay there own way without tax payers money like the rest of the broadcasters, Most people are paying for a service they dont need or want. I would miss gardeners world but I could live with that or pay a subscription if I did want to watch something.

• Agree Agree x 3
                • Like Like x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
                  Ratings:
                  +5,368
                  Oh no its not....:lunapic 130165696578242 5:It covers radios as well, and the chances are that you have one of those in your possession, as well as watching things on pc's.

Nobody will pay anything in Euros here...we dont have that currency! :biggrin:

Seriously, as soon as a child hits 18, or sometimes even before, they move away from their parents into flats, houses or whatever of their own. If they are still studying, ie students, then they are exempt from paying it, as are some other groups.

On the positive side, we dont have any TV licence dodgers any more.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                    Ratings:
                    +89,784
                    My apologies @Mike Allen I've gone a bit off tangent here but you did suggest having our say my friend;):smile:

Sorry @Sandy Ground I should have said £453.34's,thanks for your initial post my friend I have learnt some very interesting alternatives to day:smile:

• Like Like x 1
                    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +85,629
                      Yep simple, make the BBc work for it's money and put on ads. that make money, as opposed to those very annoying , repetitive ads. about forthcoming programmes.
                      They even chop some programmes short in order to get in those stupid ads. about buying a tv licence and how easy it is to do online and you dont need a paper one anymore.

I make send me a paper one, just feel like I'm getting my own back on the robbing b*****ds:biggrin:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +52,541
                      I don't listen to radio and the reception here is useless anyway. Neither do I watch anything on my pc.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +85,629
                      Fairer????

not really sure about that, I've just payed £145 licence fee, it covers my house and anyone living in it, I've got three tvs.
                      But I do have the option of not having one or even still a B&W tv which is cheaper.

I make 1300SEK to be about £107, but if you multiply that by every tax payer it's downright exorbitant.

I think there is a very real argument as to why the government or a government backed TV company should be allowed to charge just for the privilege of picking up a TV signal that most companies are putting out without getting any part of that money.

It's an outdated idea that goes back years, to when things were very different to how they are today.

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +5,890
                        Well don't forget that Boris is looking to totally abolish the tv licence fee from 2027 ( he can't do it any sooner because the Royal Charter doesn't run out until then ) and then the BBC will have to use advertisers.

• wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                        Ratings:
                        +89,784
                        The total income from licence fees was £3.83 billion in 2017–18 of which £655.3 million or 17.1% was provided by the government through concessions for those over the age of 75. Thus, the licence fee made up the bulk (75.7%) of the BBC's total income of £5.0627 billion in 2017–2018.

• Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
                          Ratings:
                          +5,368
                          How much money did the BBC make by selling programmes to other countries I wonder? We have quite a few on TV here. Copying the UK, they are even repeated!